What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Hard time deciding which PSU I want

JoshOohAh

I'm going to be waiting a couple weeks (for a price drop) and be picking up 2 6870s for my machine but I can't decide which power supply to go with. I've been reading a lot and I think I got the just of it down.

Thankfully I did this reading before I bought the graphics card otherwise I would have screwed up something using the 6-pin to molex adapters. I mean my power supply is alright for the current setup I have. However there is no way this thing can handle Crossfire

Anyways I was browsing the web trying to price it out and it seems to me that I am going to be spending around $120-200.

Right now I am looking at:

Antec Truepower Quattro 850W
NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Great Technology, Service and Selection.

Seasonic MD12D 850W *Sale says I save $110 which might be the final decision*
NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Great Technology, Service and Selection.

Corsair HX850W
NCIX.com - Buy Corsair Professional HX850W 850W ATX 12V 70A 24PIN ATX Modular Power Supply Active PFC 140MM Fan - CMPSU-850HX In Canada.

I'm almost certain that any of these will be able to handle my Crossfire configuration but which one would be better to me in the long run? Say 2-3 years down the road? Or does it come down to warranty?

OR

Should I be looking at something different? I'm not attached to any company in particular just open to anything really. As long as I know it will work well.

Appreciate the help

JoshOohAh

m12d hands down bang per back WHEN in uber special. wait for it to go to 99 bucks or something. if money is no object, then the hx is a better unit, but pricier.

http://tpucdn.com/reviews/Gainward/GeForce_GTX_460_SE/images/power_peak.gif

250-300 watts on the 12v for the gpus, add another 200 for cpu and mobo. you could go by with less :)

Really? I thought what it was at now was a good price. I mean I ideally would like to stay under 150$ before taxed but if need be I'll spend more if it will be quality and last me for builds/upgrades to come.

On a second note I just like to over estimate but lets say 500W total on 12v. You think I could make due on a very good 750w?

JD

Staff member
I'd pass on the Quattro 850W. Hate the cable sleeving on it and it seemed to have a fair amount of coil/capacitor whine.

I replaced mine with a HX850. Amazing PSU.

stoanee

Folding Team
The Seasonic 850 at $135 is an excellent deal. If I needed one right now I would jump all over it.

JoshOohAh

I'd pass on the Quattro 850W. Hate the cable sleeving on it and it seemed to have a fair amount of coil/capacitor whine.

I replaced mine with a HX850. Amazing PSU.

The Seasonic 850 at $135 is an excellent deal. If I needed one right now I would jump all over it.

I think this is my biggest decision is to choose between these two. I just want to make sure it's something solid that will hold out well in the future. However thanks to NCIX price match I am able to get the Corsair HX850 for 169.99 which for $40 more isn't a big deal if it is a huge difference.

_dangtx_

Banned
dont think youll notice the difference. now if you were to load it up to its bald head? maybe. maybe.

if you look up reviews, the m12 had a batch or two that whined, havent heard of such in a long while. i bought quite a few.

ilya

I think this is my biggest decision is to choose between these two. I just want to make sure it's something solid that will hold out well in the future. However thanks to NCIX price match I am able to get the Corsair HX850 for 169.99 which for $40 more isn't a big deal if it is a huge difference.

You can get the Corsair AX850 for less... and the Seasonic x-750 for even less... But they're all really good power supplies, they're all pretty much 80Plus Gold, (Corsair had it revoked on the HX series because they didn't maintain Gold efficiency at 50c) and pretty much all made by the same company. (Seasonic)

JoshOohAh

You can get the Corsair AX850 for less... and the Seasonic x-750 for even less... But they're all really good power supplies, they're all pretty much 80Plus Gold, (Corsair had it revoked on the HX series because they didn't maintain Gold efficiency at 50c) and pretty much all made by the same company. (Seasonic)

Corsair AX850 is more :p did you mean the AX750? Either way I see your point and I appreciate the help. I guess the Seasonic while it's on sale

Last edited:

rjbarker

If you're planning on keeping this for a few years as you stated.....pay the extra $40 and get the Corsair!

Latest posts