What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Has anyone heard anything about a Win 10 based home server OS?

Mr. Friendly

I've had a couple of my clients mention whispers about a home server OS based off of Windows 10 is in the works. I can't find hide nor hair of it, but am very curious to know more if such a thing is in the works.

Entz

Haven't heard anything myself. Though I don't follow people like Paul Thurrott as much as I used to.

I am not sure I see the point if such a thing exists. Its not like you cannot use windows 10 as a file server and through Hyper-V (on Pro) a small server. If you need more (AD/Kerberos/SQL etc) that is what Windows Server Essentials is for and the expense that goes along with it.

enaberif

never knew about it. do you have to do everything in a VM though? :ph34r:

...and because of reasons! :haha:
Technically the point of Hyper-V .....:doh:

Nothing wrong with running things in a VM.. Makes it so much easier in case of rebuild, repair or failure.

Entz

VMs are the best. Like Candy you can never just have one :D

Technically speaking you can hack a UI on Hyper-V / Windows core but that is not really how it was designed to be used IMO. Remote admin is definitely a thing as thing (esp for Hyper-V) but for your average user its way over their head ... frankly most networking outside of "Share this" is.

For everything else there is Linux (or WSL once its rounded out)

Mr. Friendly

Technically the point of Hyper-V .....:doh:

Nothing wrong with running things in a VM.. Makes it so much easier in case of rebuild, repair or failure.
indeed, however I was just seeking clarification if Cal meant to use a VM or to just use that version of Server because it's free.

also, I have to admit I'm quite mystified by how VM works..I sorta understand the basics, but how you do it and all that, not so much. I guess I should just delve in and setup a box and try it and see if it's easier than it appears. I'm not much of a fiddler/tinkerer anymore. :whistle:

edit - also, what is wrong with this forums message spacing? I hit enter once to create a separate paragraph and it puts it directly underneath it...so I hit enter twice, and it interprets that as 4 lines. :angry2:

Caldezar

Linux is always an option as well, yeah.

I wouldn't even consider anything above core for home use personally. It's MUCH more secure, and WAC is super easy to use.

As for running in a VM, I'm in agreement with Enaberif. It's much easier to handle backups, maintenance, etc.. Plus you can duplicate the VM and test changes in a sandbox before breaking your production environment.

enaberif

indeed, however I was just seeking clarification if Cal meant to use a VM or to just use that version of Server because it's free.

also, I have to admit I'm quite mystified by how VM works..I sorta understand the basics, but how you do it and all that, not so much. I guess I should just delve in and setup a box and try it and see if it's easier than it appears. I'm not much of a fiddler/tinkerer anymore. :whistle:

edit - also, what is wrong with this forums message spacing? I hit enter once to create a separate paragraph and it puts it directly underneath it...so I hit enter twice, and it interprets that as 4 lines. :angry2:
VMs are no different than a physical devices except the hardware is virtualized. If you can install a OS on a physical machine.. you can setup a VM.

VM just require MORE out of a system depending on its needs... multiple cpus, gigabytes of ram, hard drive space etc.

Then it becomes a balancing act to ensure everything is running in sync and not causing any performance issues between host and guest.

Entz

Then it becomes a balancing act to ensure everything is running in sync and not causing any performance issues between host and guest.
Then you realize you need a second host and automatic live migration based on resource allocation and it becomes fun :D

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Twitter