What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Has anyone heard anything about a Win 10 based home server OS?

supaflyx3

Nextcloud is essentially dropbox hosted on your own server, letsencrypt is a reverse proxy needed for https

Lysrin

When you guys are setting up your home lab/VMs etc. are you purchasing vSphere/ESXi to run/manage your VMs? Or are you actually using Hyper-V or some other solution?

I've been "drinking from a fire hose" the past few months getting up to speed on vSphere, ESXi, large scale virtualization, etc. I've built up and used VMs a lot before at the smaller scale using VMware Workstation for example with my local PC as the host for the VMs. That has been for cross-platform development mostly or software and OS testing. But by work is now moving into using and supporting a large scale compute cluster. I am toying with the idea of setting up something at home, small, to allow me to break things with fewer repercussions!

There are other threads on here about building home labs so not trying to derail this one. Just wondered what you were actually using at home given some of the comments and posts in this thread so far.

enaberif

When you guys are setting up your home lab/VMs etc. are you purchasing vSphere/ESXi to run/manage your VMs? Or are you actually using Hyper-V or some other solution?

I've been "drinking from a fire hose" the past few months getting up to speed on vSphere, ESXi, large scale virtualization, etc. I've built up and used VMs a lot before at the smaller scale using VMware Workstation for example with my local PC as the host for the VMs. That has been for cross-platform development mostly or software and OS testing. But by work is now moving into using and supporting a large scale compute cluster. I am toying with the idea of setting up something at home, small, to allow me to break things with fewer repercussions!

There are other threads on here about building home labs so not trying to derail this one. Just wondered what you were actually using at home given some of the comments and posts in this thread so far.
If you go with Hyper-V core you can use WAC to manage the VMs remotely if you like.

supaflyx3

I purchased a enterprise vSphere license & a server 2016 datacenter license. VMware sells licenses for homelab use for $200 usd/ year here: https://www.vmug.com/vmug2019/membership/vmug-advantage-membership

JD

Staff member
I purchased a enterprise vSphere license & a server 2016 datacenter license. VMware sells licenses for homelab use for $200 usd/ year here: https://www.vmug.com/vmug2019/membership/vmug-advantage-membership
I thought ESXi was free? So you just bought the vSphere/vCenter pieces so you can do live migrations and such?

I think in general, most people can get by with the base ESXi or Hyper-V if you're just running a single host.

unRAID covers most home usage scenarios too, I know Linus features it a lot in his videos.

Entz

This is what I use as well. Honestly since the demise of tech net OS costs (for windows) is a far more annoying problem

VMware are still jerks but yes the base VSphere is free but is severely restricted. It’s fine for a single host or even multiple if you have a shared storage endpoint and don’t mind doing things manually. It works fantastic, there is a reason it’s top dog. The biggest issue to me is they cut off access to the backup API so you end up needing something like ghettoVCB (which is a decent product) which is okay but veeam is free for small setups and it is light years ahead but needs the backup API . Live migration is still super expensive to get otherwise.

Hyper-v and Xen, KVM etc all have their free versions and they are far more feature rich for free but have their own challenges.

supaflyx3

I thought ESXi was free? So you just bought the vSphere/vCenter pieces so you can do live migrations and such?

I think in general, most people can get by with the base ESXi or Hyper-V if you're just running a single host.

unRAID covers most home usage scenarios too, I know Linus features it a lot in his videos.
Yes, I paid for an enterprise license so I could have live migration & high availability, I have a few esxi hosts.

Latest posts

Twitter