What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Havin problems.

BrainEater

hey BE...keep in mind Sagath's sigline. it likely would be dangerous to follow his thoughts...
KIDDING!!! :thumb:

Hehe.
I've followed him down a mountain at 90 Kph on skis.I trust him totally.
It's following me that's dangerous !
:rofl:

-------

I'll check that second link out too !

Got LAV in , is this a converter ?....a player ?
How do I use ?

-------

Got a partial win.
On advice from a friend I tried out GOM player.
Played my h.265 4k60 first try.
Yaaaay !

.....but......it hitches.
not smooth playback yet , but it's a start.

:thumb:

Last edited:

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
It's only dangerous (fun?) following you until you run out of gas ;)

Where's my videos!?

lowfat

Staff member
LAV is a set of DirectShow (part of DirectX) filters https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectShow#Video_rendering_filters. Codec packs are just a collection of DirectShow filters + whatever other crap thew throw in. Most of the time they have 3-4x as much crap as needed.

It isn't a player. LAV will work w/ any media player that uses DirectShow. Windows Media Player, Windows Media Classic, MPC-HC (but you have to set it manually). Media Players like VLC, MPC-HC, and probably this GOM Player, don't use DirectShow. They use their own filters/splitters. Generally because of this they don't perform as well.

Pretty simple video on how to get LAV working w/ MPC-BE.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBA4uj6hKlQ

BrainEater

Yea , I have a lot of work to do.

I've got Adobe CC installing now on the snowball.
Gom player works ok , but no more effing around.

The LAV install did not improve my WMP/VLC.....but I've had updates since then I'm sure.
At this point I am soooo happy just to be watching this footage.....I'll deal with hitches.Like I say Adobe is installing now.

-------
It's only dangerous (fun?) following you until you run out of gas ;)

Where's my videos!?

Your video is on the way bud ! I've been self-absorbed watching all my Big White footage....I'll upload it in the next day or so.
While not 4k , you got some smoking footage.
The North Bowl one is pretty awesome.I am working on it.
I won't be gassed next year sir !

:haha:

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Yeah for sure. We talked about letting the forums watch us clown around :haha:

BrainEater

Any chance we could watch it as well?

Yes , but....

Sagath is welcome to show his raw footage however he wants.He shot it, it's his.
I generally don't show raw footage.
You will have to wait a bit to see mine/ours.
I'm editing footage from Big White right now.....

------

I'm uploading footage right now.
I'm also going through our footage to find frames I can cut out as pictures.
That's probably the first thing I can post.

------

I 'still' cannot get flawless playback on my h.265.
I'm just installing Adobe media encoder, and getting my adobe HDD's moved into the new rig.

:blarg:

lowfat

Staff member
What bitrate is the H.265?

EDIT1: Also, if you are using a 32-bit media player, you need to use 32-bit filters. So a good idea to install both 32 bit and 64 bit filters.

Also during the install of LAV, there is a checkbox you need to click in order to download the HEVC filters.

Also open up the LAV Video Configuration and check to see if it is using a hardware decoder.
v9UVb70.png

Using a DX11 hardware decoder, w/ a GTX 1080 + a Quicksync disabled i5-6400@4.6, playing a 100Mbps HEVC (h.265). I am using about 3% CPU usage and 4-5% GPU usage. Sample files can be downloaded below. I'm currently downloading a 200Mbps file to see if it plays fine as well.

Jellyfish Bitrate Test Files

EDIT2: Played the 200Mbps file perfectly. 5% CPU usage. 17% GPU usage. A QHD bluray has a max bitrate of 128Mbps. So this is 56% higher bitrate and still playing perfectly.

Last edited:

BrainEater

Haha !!

So I shut down the xeon rig to allow update cycling.(win 10pro)
Started it up , 3 bluescreens ( my xeon rig bluescreens everytime it restarts for an update....)((still working on that one))

Gom player now operates differently , but on the whole , it plays much better.

I can tell that microsoft is actively working to update their h.265 stuff.

I have not tried wmp yet, or Adobe, need a couple ssd's to complete my migration.

------

I think I might actually like the windows 10 forced update thing (in part).
I'm finding windows 10 is actually a bit 'clairvoyant' if you give them the telemetry they ask for.
I have 2 rigs running win10 pro and they are both constantly getting better at the h.265.....everytime I update , It gets better.

Valkyrie

Chilliwack...Time Is Just A Rubber Band....
Haha !!

So I shut down the xeon rig to allow update cycling.(win 10pro)
Started it up , 3 bluescreens ( my xeon rig bluescreens everytime it restarts for an update....)((still working on that one))

Gom player now operates differently , but on the whole , it plays much better.

I can tell that microsoft is actively working to update their h.265 stuff.

I have not tried wmp yet, or Adobe, need a couple ssd's to complete my migration.

------

I think I might actually like the windows 10 forced update thing (in part).
I'm finding windows 10 is actually a bit 'clairvoyant' if you give them the telemetry they ask for.
I have 2 rigs running win10 pro and they are both constantly getting better at the h.265.....everytime I update , It gets better.

To me, this seems a rather sorry state of affairs in OS development. When you consider what an OS is supposed to do.....(or was supposed to do back when they first started making them.) Win 10 has to figure out how to get out of your way, while still doing what Microsoft wants it to do......

Latest posts

Twitter