What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Having a very hard time with my new SSD

BootlegUsher

Hello, I purchased a Crucial MX200 512 GB SSD. This drive came with a copy of Acronis True image. I currently have a Crucial 128 GB SSD as my C drive. The only thing I want to do is migrate everything over to the larger drive.

I plugged in my new SSD into an available SATA data and power connector. I turned on my computer and installed the Acronis software.

Here is what I did next:

1. I clicked on the clone disk option.

2. I selected my target disc and destination disc. All pretty straightforward.

3. I ran the program, my computer turned off at the end.

Great right? Wrong. At this point I wasn't sure what I am supposed to do so I unplugged my old drive and plugged the new one into the SATA connector it used to occupy. I thought that the computer would just see my windows installation and start right up. Nope, blue screen of death, dump memory, restart.

After a few more failed restarts I plugged my old drive back into its old spot and attempted to start my computer. More BSODs. I unplugged my new drive so only the old one was connected. Computer starts up just fine.

I think okay, I'll restart everything from the beginning and this time not mess around with connections. I do the whole imaging process again, the computer shuts down, and without screwing around with wires I start the computer. BSOD. The computer will not start properly with both drives connected. The computer will not start properly with the new drive connected. Only the old drive works.

Can someone please explain what I need to do to get this working? All I want is my C drive to be exactly like it was before, just with more GB to use. I thought Acronis was supposed to make this easy. Must I do a fresh install of windows on the new drive?

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
When Acronis does its thing, it's locking the C: drive and getting ready to clone to the new, larger drive... the rig will restart - not shut down - with Acronis still running in DOS (I may be wrong here) to clone the drive over. It's the only way to copy an OS drive, otherwise with locked partitions Acronis cannot clone.

Once cloning is complete, Acronis will tell you to shut down, remove the old drive and connect the new drive in its place. Only then will the rig power up and load the OS from the new drive.

BootlegUsher

The first thing the program did when I clicked the "proceed" button was ask me if its okay to restart the computer. I click yes, then the computer restarts and boots into the Acronis program. After watching the blue progress bar for about 15 minutes a window pops up that says "the computer will automatically shut down" and has a countdown timer. The only thing you can do is wait or tell it to shut down right now.

Once the computer is off, are you saying I need to connect my new drive into the old drive's slot? I could have sworn that's what I already did.

3.0charlie

Yup, that's it. 2 cloned drives connected won't work - both having boot commands. You have to disconnect the old drive, and connect the new drive in its place. Power up - and eveytime I use Acronis to clone, I check in the BIOS first to see if the drive is recognized, has the correct drive letter, boot sequence etc.

BootlegUsher

When I go into my BIOS I can see both drives showing up. I set the boot priority for the new 512 GB and I BSOD. Once I set it back to the old drive everything is fine.

How about this: I currently have both drives connected and my computer is working fine. Should I shut down, disconnect the old drive, go into BIOS, set the boot priority to make sure my new drive boots first, and the report back with what happened?

3.0charlie

Was the cloning procedure was a success? If so yes that's the way cloning should work and disconnecting the old drive from the rig should confirm this.

BootlegUsher

Didn't work. As far as I can tell cloning was a success, I never got any error messages. I just read the cloning section in the manual. I'll try it one more time later tonight and report back.

AkG

This is why I always make a tib and not a clone.
IMHO the most effecient way to do things is
1) find a copy of FULL Acronis
2) install FULL version
3) do a full drive backup of the OS drive (and all partitions)
4) test the tib to make sure it worked
5) restore the tib to the new drive
6) unplug old drive, install new in its place
7) enjoy

3.0charlie

And that's why I always use my Thermatake toaster (external USB3 twin HDD/SDD caddy) to clone on a secondary rig. No fuss, no mess.

Vittra

I just use Clonezilla. Disk to image clone, then restore image to disk. If there's any disparity in the partition sizing or order I use gparted to fix partitions afterward, and then check to ensure the partition format is still correct for SSD - always has been thus far.

The Acronis image route is probably better.

I tried Macrium Reflect free edition once recently since I had heard a great deal about it. Much like this Acronis clone, I used the "clone" feature in Macrium from within Windows. I had to boot into windows recovery to re-create the boot entry, but other than that it worked out. It's possible you need to do the same with the current route you are trying.