What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Having a very hard time with my new SSD

KaptCrunch

first check firmware for your SSD I see Release Date: 07/14/2015 is the latest

Method 1: Online update through Crucial® Storage Executive software (preferred)
When Storage Executive is running, it checks for firmware updates online and notifies the user if an update is available. The user can view the firmware change list and choose to perform the update within the Storage Executive user interface.

Method 2: Bootable ISO image provided by Crucial
Crucial provides a bootable ISO file that can perform the update without installing Storage Executive on the host machine. This method requires the user to load the provided image on a piece of bootable media such as a CD-R or USB flash drive. The user will then start the system with the bootable media to perform the update.

In each method, the final steps of the update are performed inside a secured boot environment on the host machine, which re-checks the applicability and integrity of the update materials before and during the download. Additionally, the update is performed on every applicable SSD in the host system.

It is highly recommended to use a stable power source and perform a full system backup prior to updating the firmware with any method. Although drive loss or corruption caused by an interrupted update is exceedingly rare, the update is performed at the user’s own risk.

after updating firmware then clone old C: drive yes use full version arconis

sswilson

Staff member
Any chance this is a UEFI partition issue? I had the devil of a time trying to clone the mechanical drive of my Dell convertible because the source was UEFI and the destination wasn't.

AkG

And that's why I always use my Thermatake toaster (external USB3 twin HDD/SDD caddy) to clone on a secondary rig. No fuss, no mess.
Me too...except that I went in a dif direction.
Crucial makes a $25 upgrade pack that includes an 2.5 to 3.5 adapter plate AND a USB to SATA adapter. Fits in ye olde back pocket and should be every techs tool kit. ;)

BootlegUsher

This is why I always make a tib and not a clone.
IMHO the most effecient way to do things is
1) find a copy of FULL Acronis
2) install FULL version
3) do a full drive backup of the OS drive (and all partitions)
4) test the tib to make sure it worked
5) restore the tib to the new drive
6) unplug old drive, install new in its place
7) enjoy
Thanks for all the responses guys. If you could bear with me, this is my first time doing something like this so I don't quite understand everything people are saying. For example, what is "tib"?

Also, what's the difference between full Acronis and the version I am using? I had to input a 64 digit CD key that they e-mailed me, so I'm not just using some free trial. I looked at what exactly the full version gives you, and it doesn't look like it has anything to do with cloning, just fancy stuff like backing up to the cloud.

I downloaded the Crucial software and I was using an old firmware. I updated, ran the cloning software again, but no luck. Its getting late so I'll have to try some more tomorrow.

Vittra

It's a proprietary file format that Acronis uses, but it is just an image file. Instead of doing clones from one drive directly to another, you copy either partitions (or the whole drive) into an image file. You can then restore that image to another drive at a later date.

Arinoth

Staff member
I just use Clonezilla. Disk to image clone, then restore image to disk. If there's any disparity in the partition sizing or order I use gparted to fix partitions afterward, and then check to ensure the partition format is still correct for SSD - always has been thus far.

The Acronis image route is probably better.

I tried Macrium Reflect free edition once recently since I had heard a great deal about it. Much like this Acronis clone, I used the "clone" feature in Macrium from within Windows. I had to boot into windows recovery to re-create the boot entry, but other than that it worked out. It's possible you need to do the same with the current route you are trying.
That's how I cloned my old SSD to my new one too, Clonezilla, didn't have any issues with it at all myself aside from the whole first new SDD was defective...

Dragonstongue

Have heard nothing but complaints with the TI included with Crucial MX drives, which is why I have never used it, there are better options, but if possible, honestly you are always best to start with a "clean" install as this way here everything is aligned properly for the new drive instead of possibly corrupting needing files and such, yes it takes longer, but at least you know it is running its best right off the hop, and most programs as long as you manually move the program from say drive E (secondary) to C (the new OS drive) all you have to do is change the program header so it knows to launch from C instead of E type deal, again takes longer, but give far more control and allows you to clean out things you may not have wanted on there to begin with :)

Dragonstongue

to "flash" firmware, take a thumbstick and use Rufus to "prep" the stick, all you do is run rufus, select the firmware image, it burns it to the thumbdrive which is now bootable, reboot, boot off the thumbdrive, select the SSD you want to update firmware, take a bit, done, I would advise before you put anything on the drive to change firmware, as there is of course potential to lose data on the drive when flashing, I have done this with both my MX100 and MX200 flashed to MU02 with data loaded on them and it was fine, but I will not be held responsible if you lose data because you were silly by flashing with data on the drive you flashed :)

Thumbdrive as in USB stick, flashdrive whatever you want to call it, and Rufus https://rufus.akeo.ie/

BootlegUsher

Just to wrap up this thread:

Thanks for your help everyone, I appreciate it. Unfortunately, nothing worked. I did a fresh install, which is working. Oh well, live and learn for next time.

Latest posts

Twitter