What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Having Core i5 NON K Hould I buy a 2500K or a 2600K

hellire666

Hi guys

Recently I was Ordering My Rig on SuperBiiz and Me being the careless Idiot i am, i have by Mistake ordered the NON K Core i5 2500....Only to realize what happened when trying to overclock so this is My Problem...
the Non K has been ok for now @ 3.8 plays everything Fine

ive been reading online Can you Kindly give me your opinion on whether I should buy a new 2500K \ 2600K or Stick with the Non k I have and Use the Money to get another HD6950 to crossfire

Does Most games Support CF now a days ?????

Thanks In advance !!!!!

zsamz_

if you encode or crunch get the 2600k

if you mainly play games n surf get the 2500k

i bought both :rofl:

JD

Staff member
I would just leave things as-is. Don't bother spending any more money at this time.

22nm CPUs should be due for LGA1155 later this year or early next year. Upgrade to one of those if you feel you need to.

As for Crossfire, I wouldn't bother.

dma0991

For Sandy Bridge there are 2 ways that you can be limited to not able to overclock. A K suffix CPU + H67 board or a non K suffix CPU + P67 board will not overclock at all. If your current motherboard is a P67 then I suggest sticking with your current CPU first.

The Ivy Bridge should be coming pretty soon early next year and most probably you can do a drop in upgrade a K suffix overclockable Ivy Bridge CPU. Both Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge will be expected to use the same LGA1155.

francisw19

Yeah...the 2500K should suit you if you are mostly gaming. Getting the 'K' edition will allow you to overclock waaaaaay more. :thumb:

enaberif

Yeah...the 2500K should suit you if you are mostly gaming. Getting the 'K' edition will allow you to overclock waaaaaay more. :thumb:
Having a non K or K will make no difference in gaming. The K just allows the system to be overclocked better.

francisw19

Having a non K or K will make no difference in gaming. The K just allows the system to be overclocked better.
Agreed...just to clear any confusion, I was suggesting a 2500K over the 2600K as the better choice for gaming if he wanted to get a K edition.

enaberif

Agreed...just to clear any confusion, I was suggesting a 2500K over the 2600K as the better choice for gaming if he wanted to get a K edition.
I'd rather go with the 2500K being cheaper and overclock it and get just the same results.

Arinoth

Staff member
The 2500 should be fine for you, though if you bought a 2500k or 2600k you'd have to have a P or Z series chipset as the H series will not allow you to overclock an unlocked processor.

Latest posts

Twitter