What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

HD7950 vs GTX660Ti

Kingsix

Having just bought a Gigabyte 660 TI OC, i was interested in this report. I would say that even if you don't notice anything in terms of lag right now, what the results say to me is that the 7950 will start showing lag problems sooner than the 660ti will. Thats a guess but I figure as games get harder to render, those long frame times will get longer at least, if not more numerous.

Meh, I just can't wait to play something on my new rig.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
I think the conclusion in this is straightforward:

Can you benchmark an "experience"? NO!

Bond007

I think the conclusion in this is straightforward:

Can you benchmark an "experience"? NO!

If you don't mind commenting, in your testing do you find a better gaming "experience" outside what the fps would lead you to believe in regards to amd vs nvidia?

BeaverBender

This reminds me of doing video work back in the 90's. For those of you who are old enough to remember, Seagate had a few different types of SCSI drives back then (like long-haul for example) and one was specialized for AV work. Basically, the premise behind it was that since the drives at that time were only barely able to match the throughput required for high-res video work, if you were using anything else on the bus (especially things like a SCSI ROM drive, which might also be causing impedence due to the speed differential), you were most likely dropping frames. So Seagate came up with their AV series which guaranteed a sustained throughput that was able to meet the demands of video work without dropping frames... somewhat similar to provisioning the proper bandwith for voice on a VOIP network so that you don't have a crappy connection (I'm sure lots of you have heard examples of this when people don't allocate the proper bandwith). To me it looks like nVidia is doing a better job of prioritizing the frames in their products than AMD is... just my two cents.

velias

I've used both setups and I think that either TR is flawed, or their results are limited to skyrim. It is no secret that nvidia performs substantially better in skyrim, especially with SLI - crossfire just can't compare. Conversely, crossfire does much better in other games. I don't think you can make a blanket statement that one is completely better than the other, because some games are better on one and some games aren't...it goes back and forth. For instance, I highly suspect if you do similar testing with metro 2033, you would find that crossfire performs very much substantially better than any SLI setup. Again....depends on the game IMO. AMD gaming evolved games sometimes stink with SLI, and TWIMTBP games sometimes stink with crossfire. Is this surprising? Not really.

So in a nutshell, I think it just depends on which games are being tested. My opinion is that one isn't smoother than another as i've used both. Its whatever though - if another website has more data with more games that would be great as well; perhaps SKY can do such testing. He did uncover the uneven boost speeds several months ago, which was a great find - and a good reason why I made the switch to MSI GTX 680. They're the best :biggrin:. Anyway, such testing for stutter would be great as long as it is factual with proper testing methods, and not subjective.

elmorejohn46

At that review they are gameing at 2560x1440 ,I still think the HD7950 Boost is the better deal.there are quite a few people that have the HD7950 and I think if there was studding that bad more people would be complaining.

Latest posts