What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

HDD caching / PrimoCache 3.2.0 questions

Coach

Seagate Barracuda's have multi-tier-caching (MTC) built-in, and the Pro models can hit upwards of 250MB/s sequential read/write, I think it's typically the fastest hard drive on the market currently. I think usually the larger sizes perform a bit faster.

My 4TB Barracuda Pro does about 200MB/s and I can't say I've had any issues accessing RAW images, large ISOs, etc from it.

What do you think of the ST10000DM0004? It can be had for $378 Prime day sale. Would that be a reasonable increase over my 4TB Black? I know I can look at the numbers but what is your anecdotal seat of the pants opinion? :)

JD

Staff member
You can flip a coin and try shucking one of these too: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07NPMMZ8C which may contain a 10TB Barracuda Pro. Likewise, for $400, you can try for a 16TB too: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B088S9PWNM, I grabbed one of these to backup my QNAP NAS and it was able to do around 230MB/s over USB. Inside is an Exos X16 drive. Though the first one I got, somebody had swapped a 10TB Barracuda Pro into it... so Amazon seems iffy these days about actually getting "new" product. They exchanged it without issue though.

But to your question, I think you'll be happy with a 10TB Barracuda Pro :)

Coach

You can flip a coin and try shucking one of these too: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07NPMMZ8C which may contain a 10TB Barracuda Pro. Likewise, for $400, you can try for a 16TB too: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B088S9PWNM, I grabbed one of these to backup my QNAP NAS and it was able to do around 230MB/s over USB. Inside is an Exos X16 drive. Though the first one I got, somebody had swapped a 10TB Barracuda Pro into it... so Amazon seems iffy these days about actually getting "new" product. They exchanged it without issue though.

But to your question, I think you'll be happy with a 10TB Barracuda Pro :)
That is an interesting idea... I think I will try the shucking. Before I order is there any reason I may not be aware why I would go for the 16TB over the 10TB aside from size?

JD

Staff member
The Exos line is tuned more for server workloads and RAID setups anyhow, Barracuda should be better suited to what you want. I was merely offering it as an option in the $400 price point compared to buying the Barracuda Pro 10TB by itself.

I'd just suggest running Crystal Disk Info first when you get the drive to make sure it's legit and what you want. It'll tell you the model number of the drive inside the enclosure. If the box is not plastic wrapped, chances are it's "used", or at least that's the only notable difference I had with my 16TB order. Top notch job whoever did the drive swap as everything appeared untampered with.

Coach

Thanks for your input JD. I ordered the 10TB version and yes I will check with Crystal Disk Info first. After shucking the enclosure do I get the 5 year warranty instead of the one? hahaha

JD

Staff member
People claim that's the case if you lookup the drive serial number. I don't know if it's true though, to me Seagate should keep track of the serial numbers inside these enclosures and limit it to the 1yr warranty for the whole unit.

JD

Staff member
Should still be a pretty good drive if you decide to keep it. Wonder where the person got the Barracuda Pro 10TB from that they shoved into my 16TB enclosure though :unsure:

sswilson

Staff member
Should still be a pretty good drive if you decide to keep it. Wonder where the person got the Barracuda Pro 10TB from that they shoved into my 16TB enclosure though :unsure:

That was just a bizarre situation from the start.