What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

HDD failure or Motherboard failure?

Polygon

Ok so yesterday my computer froze in a game of LoL (League of Legends) which isn't very intensive and has never happened before for me. Then I press the reset button and my BIOS screen is on for more than usual, then I get the message that no HDD is detected, I reboot again and it says BOOTMRG missing (boot manager - no windows drive)... go into BIOS but my WD Black 1tb IS recognized. I'm wondering if the disk just died so I power off, swap cables and try different ports. It doesn't work on any port/cord... then I retry it and it works for some reason. Everything was normal. Now today (haven't touched anything) my computer freezes and I reboot and same thing happens... My main 250gb seagate HDD with windows 7 on does not show up in BIOS. My WD1tb black does.

Weird thing is, for the last month since I've had my WD1tb for storage sometimes when I boot up my computer (in the past) the WD drive wasn't recognised either. Or when I had my 160gb drive plugged in for fraps recording it wouldn't show up either, yet sometimes it WOULD show up.

So, I'm wondering how the hell I know what's causing this and what I should do - new motherboard? format?

P.S. I'm thinking of upgrading my motherboard and CPU but kinda want to wait to see what the 1155 will bring.

_dangtx_

Banned
if it happens with more than one drive, with different cables on different sata ports the cotrollers going, sb warming up too much?

try an ide one. have a board here with shot sata controller, ide works fine. i use it with a live cd anyway :p

M

member 3099

Test your hard drives with SeaTools. If no errors, then your problem lies with your motherboard.

belgolas

Try a bios update.

Sometimes a file in the Boot Manager get corrupted and you need to repair the drive with the windows cd.

Latest posts