What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

HDD Tests

miggs78

Hello there,

Question for ya'll please, what's a good software that I can use to check if a hard drive is defective..
So far I've been using the Data LifeGuard Diagnostic tool in Win 7.. It does seem to detect errors on the bad drive (2 x 640gb, 1 is bad, 1 i'm unsure), but I still think it going too fast on the test, and not checking properly..

Thanks.. :thumb:

KeepSix

The most thorough I've seen is Spinrite, from Gibson Research Corp. It's not free though. It'll wipe, recover lost data, fix sectors windoze has closed and is also good for maintenance. Not sure you'd want to spend $80 on it like I did though. I use it almost daily, so it is justified.

enaberif

Hello there,

Question for ya'll please, what's a good software that I can use to check if a hard drive is defective..
So far I've been using the Data LifeGuard Diagnostic tool in Win 7.. It does seem to detect errors on the bad drive (2 x 640gb, 1 is bad, 1 i'm unsure), but I still think it going too fast on the test, and not checking properly..

UBCD for DOS has a program called HDdat2 which I've used numerous times to find problematic drives.

Canker

Get a current copy of Hiren's bootcd and use it to check for problems. Hiren's contains most, if not all drive vendor diagnostic software, and chances are when you call in to get an RMA they'll ask you if you used their software anyway, at least this way you can tell them, "Why yes, I did run Seatools and it said the drive failed with this code. Also, when I shake the drive it sounds like a can of spray paint." It will cut down your time on the phone dealing with monkeys.
Hello there,

Latest posts