What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Headset advice/ suggestions

FreeKnight

Looking for an open back set of headphones (either with mic, or something that works with a mod mic). Used for both conference calls for work and some online gaming. Mostly PC games with the GF like Stardew Valley, but might get used for PS4/XB games with my brother once in a while.

Budget - I'm buying these through my business, so I have a bit of flex, but let's say $300 CDN or less (though if an amazing product is $320, I wouldn't let that stop me)

Source/Amp - X570 Strix Mobo 90% of the time. Occasional PS4 use, but I'd like something that plugs into the system to avoid the horrible controller audio compression.
How the gear will be used - Some business conference calls, teams meetings. Also used for PC Online games and occasional PS4 or PS5 games with my brother.

Preferred tonal balance - Not sure, I'm not a huge audiophile so as long as it's got a good balance and isn't all bass that's probably fine.

Preferred music genre(s) - Symphony, classical, opera, but these won't be used for music listening much.

Past gear experience - Arctis wireless that were too small for my head. Otherwise I use Sennheiser earbuds most of the time.

I live alone, so having open back is probably preferred for sound. I don't need to worry about sound leaking out or in. Wireless or wired is fine as long as it works for both consoles and PC.

So far I'm considering the G4ME One headset;
Game One
or the Philips SHP9500 with a mod mic
SHP9500
or the Astro A40 TR Headset and amp;
A40 with mixamp
or the SteelSeries arctis pro wireless, which are admittedly not open back, but they're supposed to be great and seem like they can be used on PC, console, etc.
Arctis pro (with or without amp)

I've never kept up with the audio scene that much, so input's appreciated. I've assumed open back is the better route, but it does seem like there's way more options on the closed back end of things.

Vittra

Dmitry has put up quite a few good vids about this stuff in the past few months - tackling both the headphones, the mic quality on headphones, and DACs.

G4ME One and PC37X are nearly identical btw, whatever is cheaper of the two is generally the one to get. First video below is the newer PC38X

FreeKnight

I was just eyeballing the PC38X. How has mass been for import fees lately? If the customs fees aren't terrible I may give them a try

Mr. Friendly

I was just eyeballing the PC38X. How has mass been for import fees lately? If the customs fees aren't terrible I may give them a try
most I've ever been dinged was $20 from Massdrop, and it was for headphones...HE-4xx I believe.

that said, the Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohm are known to be the bees knees for gaming headphones. however, they need power to drive them, so a proper amp is needed. and because the treble on them can be peaky at times, getting a warm headphone amp is recommended. one of the most popular pairings is with the Monolith Spark. it's warm and has loads of power.

the HE-4xx are also known to be good for gaming. same with the HD58x I believe. those don't need as much power, but still adviseable to have a proper headphone amp for them.

Twitter