What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Heck froze over

Greyhair

Well, I finally bit the bullet and 'upgraded' to Win10.
And not just once..

All the machines at work, at home, couple of friends' rigs...upgrade overdose I'd say. :doh:

Really hated it when it first came out, doesn't seem so bad now.

Wide variety of hardware configs, mostly a smooth transition.
Still running some 98 era engraving software on one without any issues, go figure.

Anyhow, longtime Win 7 holdout finally went to the dark side.

Cheers.

Lysrin

The dark side isn't so dark once you get used to it. Welcome to the future! ;)

Just watch out for the big seasonal updates from Microsoft... they really don't seem to be handling those well lately.

Mr. Friendly

got tired of MS spamming you about W7 going EoL in 6 months?

I adopted W10 as soon as it came out and have been okay with it since the very beginning. actually, I've been an early adopter of every MS OS since XP...I even liked Vista, it was a precursor to W7, just like how 2000 (not ME) ended up being the precursor for XP. XP was everything that 2000 said it would be and wasn't. in my opinion though, Vista wasn't the flop 2000 was, but it was a victim of Intel and their weakfu GPU technology...MS caved and said their GPU's were Vista ready and they were not, never ever were and never ever could be.

but I digress, LoL!

Izerous

I actually had no problems with ME or Vista but 7 was pretty good and I don't have a single complaint about 10. 8 was a nightmare though and I hated touching anything running it.

enaberif

Win10 from Win7 was nothing like Windows XP to Windows Vista at all.

So many people made fun of me because I waited so long to jump to W7 from XP and it was because of all the horrid past experiences.

Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 was super easy and very painless.

It also had much less software/hardware issues.

Bond007

I went from XP to 7 to 10...all the others irritated me in one way or another. I can say that as much as 10 has had issues that seem to make big titles and headlines, I quite like it.

Fleurious

I use windows 10 at work and on the home laptop. It will be a cold day in hell if I ever downgrade my desktop from Win7 to Win10. Everything about Win10 feels unnatural and forced to me. When Vista came out I was probably one of the few that didn’t mind it because it had some tangible advancements even though I skipped upgrading to Vista for Win7 to allow for better third party driver updates.

Windows 10, to me, is a tablet OS that MS is pushing to get a unified ecosystem across phone/tablet/PC(do they still do phones or has that gone the way of the Zune?), much like apple has, and that has compromised usability.

</rant>

Lysrin

Vista wasn't all that bad either, after it had a year or so of patches under its belt!

Window 7 or 8 to 10 upgrade was much better than some of the recent large Windows 10 updates, as I mentioned. I am gun-shy now of those big ones and dread them being launched.

Edit: Fleurious' stuff: The Windows Phone is pretty much a dead dream at this point. I don't think anyone makes them anymore. And the later versions of Windows 10 did make strides in going back to supporting the desktop user. I even find the latest start menu a bit more useful with some of the recent changes.

Greyhair

I did have one big issue with one machine.
I pulled the win7 drive out of an old laptop, and stuck a blank, spare, ssd in it. ( give it some life, maybe )

Laptop was fine with the drive in bios, it supports ahci apparently.

I tried installing official 1809 iso from dvd, since this one can't boot from usb, and all was going smooth, then had constant errors during later half of install.
Finally gave up, put old drive back in, and it upgraded smoothly, same iso on same dvd.
Not sure what's up with that?

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Twitter