What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Hell has frozen over.

Bond007

I saw this a few hours ago. Crazy, but there was rumours of it floating around a while ago. I am curious to see how it works out...I wonder how much “gaming performance” they are talking about. If it was somewhere >mx150...maybe gtx1050ish levels...I would be interested.

moocow

May be AMD is confident enough in their mobile Zen that they don't think selling GPU chips to Intel will impact their mobile sales?

Bond007

May be AMD is confident enough in their mobile Zen that they don't think selling GPU chips to Intel will impact their mobile sales?

Maybe. Or they just want the increase market percentage in the graphics world.

MARSTG

This was in the making since January when HardOCP's editor lifted the lid on the deal. And Intel started to release Vulkan drivers!

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I feel like this is a death knell for AMD. Or it’ll lead to it. The writing is in the wall now imo.

We all know they should have never purchased Radeon as it was bad for both companies in the end, but to basically give up their IP to Intel is pritty much saying “why would you purchase an inferior AMD cpu when you can buy a superior Intel one?”

I see it as possible sale of AMD CPU business to NVIDIA, and GPU business to Intel. Could be interesting play for semiconductor infustry.

Bartacus

I feel like this is a death knell for AMD. Or it’ll lead to it. The writing is in the wall now imo.

We all know they should have never purchased Radeon as it was bad for both companies in the end, but to basically give up their IP to Intel is pritty much saying “why would you purchase an inferior AMD cpu when you can buy a superior Intel one?”

But isn't this collaboration aimed squarely at the "gaming laptop" market segment, where AMD has no presence at all? That segment is owned by Intel CPUs running Nvidia mobile GPUs. So this looks like AMD could get some penetration into a market where they have nothing at the moment. That doesn't sound like a death knell to me. No AMD APU was ever going to compete in this market anyway, as those things cannot compare to a comparable Intel / Nvidia solution, at least not yet.

MARSTG

The top end part, known as i7-8809G has a base clock of 3.1 GHz and turboes upto 4 GHz. The iGPU has 1536 cores ( 3x more than the A10-7890k) was clocking between 1 and 1.1 GHz and was linked to single 4GB HBM2 chip clocked at 800MHz. This is the same firepower as the Tahiti LE chip! So this should be plenty enough for 1080p gaming! A NUC that could game would be a pretty interesting option at like half the price of the Skull Canyon.
And I am guessing Apple will happily jump on the bandwagon !

Last edited:

Latest posts