What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Help a beginner?

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Short ver:
Wondering if anyone out there would be willing to help turn my ideas into 3D models. Payment possible?

Long ver:
Ive started a learn 3D modelling course on Udemy (thank you holiday sales), but my progress is slower than I'd like and I'm a bit frustrated, with myself. So I'm wondering if someone from the community would be willing to help me get designs out of my head and into a models.

Some of the ideas are ridiculously simple, whole others are a bit more involved / curvy.

I realize this is a big ask, but I'm just really wanting to get my ideas in motion and frankly need a win in my life.

Alternatively; if someone has a better suggestion for a 3D modelling course I'll look into that as well, because the Blender one seems very involved unnecessarily (i don't need light sources and textures for 3D models afaik).

As always, thanks in advance everyone.

sswilson

Staff member
Wish I could help, but I'm probably even less qualified than you. (And yeah, I never got back to that stupid Udemy course either, for exactly the same reason.... it seems more focused on the animation part than the design).

As far as the "simple" designs go... have you looked at tinkercad? It's relatively easy to use although it's limited in scope.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Wish I could help, but I'm probably even less qualified than you. (And yeah, I never got back to that stupid Udemy course either, for exactly the same reason.... it seems more focused on the animation part than the design).

As far as the "simple" designs go... have you looked at tinkercad? It's relatively easy to use although it's limited in scope.

No I haven't heard of Tinkercad before... Is it very easy to use? Most of the things I want to make are square and boxy, so I don't even need to make curved shapes. Just frustrating that I can see and picture something in my head and have no way of getting it out of there...

sswilson

Staff member
No I haven't heard of Tinkercad before... Is it very easy to use? Most of the things I want to make are square and boxy, so I don't even need to make curved shapes. Just frustrating that I can see and picture something in my head and have no way of getting it out of there...

Easy peasy. Join basic shapes together and use "voids" (basically negative shapes) to remove the bits you don't want. It took me a bit of time to work out strategies for the best way to get what I wanted out of it, but I did manage to make some fairly complex projects with it. (Everything from my pinball build was done through tinkercad).

lcdguy

Folding Team
never done one of those udemy classes i tend to just mess around in the software to see what trouble i can get up to. :) or take something simple and then try to figure out how to do that before tackling something with a complex shape.

I find drawing a rough sketch on paper helps a lot as well.

For example, i might make a cube, and say well that's boring, i wonder what <insert random tool> does to it. :)