What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Help Computer turns on then shuts off in 3 seconds

Dashock

Alright basically i moved components to a new case and everything was working fine my cuz plugged in a sd reader into the usb slot it said unknown device and then he plugged in a sandisk cruzer on the same slot and then the computer froze. I then proceeded to restart and now i can only turn on the power for 3 seconds all the fans work and then it shuts of..

I have tried to single out components like videocard,ram,hard drive so i know its not that.

thanx all.

geokilla

Clear CMOS?

Oh I remember I was playing with my friend's brand new Antec 900 computer before, then I took out the USB cus earlier he was transferring some files over to my USB. The funny thing was, the USB slot got stuck or something, so the computer wouldn't turn on. I don't know how he fixed it, but I believe he said something about pulling that USB slot out. Basically, the USB slot was broken.

Dashock

i have already disconnected the usb connection ot the motherboard its really strange occurance.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Definitely try to reset the cmos by pulling out the cmos battery for a minute. If that doesn't work, disconnect everything possible and strip the system down to the basics (1 stick of ram, lowest-end video card you have, PS2 keyboard? and nothing else). Tell us how that goes...

Dashock

i reset the battery and cleared cmos still doing it, if one of the components on the motherboard or capcitors fried would the motherboard green light still come on ???

Arinoth

Staff member
I had this problem, you may want to check/look at your PSU, because for me, half the caps had blown.

Dashock

How would i check if the caps are blown... and Metaphor if the mobo was fried then wouldnt the green light at the bottom not work ??

Arinoth

Staff member
Well look at both your mobo and there should be a little window into your PSU either in the back or at the bottom, if there is anythign "oozing" or really anything on any of the caps that doesn't look like it should be there, like the cap has opened, then its a blown cap

CMetaphor

Quadfather
How would i check if the caps are blown... and Metaphor if the mobo was fried then wouldnt the green light at the bottom not work ??
Yes, it's not only possible, it's depressing. I've tried to "resurrect" many dual-socket boards at work that would still have their standby LED green to no avail... Sorry dude...

Twitter