What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Help! DUAL WAN router setup

cmak

My network is laid out as follows.

DUAL WAN router:
SERVER(NAS"synology"409"") -static IP- wan1- DSL to ISP gateway.

Office network - dynamic IP- wan 2- cable to ISP gateway.

Router: dual wan draytek 2920N

When transferring files from server to a network computer...it appears the file transfers up to the ISP then back down to the peer.....logging bandwidth on both connections.

Is there a way to allow communication between wan 1 and wan 2 without going through my ISP???

searched all forums....such a unique setup...not sure if there is anyone out there who has done this.....

Last edited:

MacJunky

[unhelpful]
35_inch_floppy_disks.jpg

2502526331_61aef6ea02.jpg

[/unhelpful]
:p

JD

Staff member
Perhaps have a switch behind the router? Then connect the NAS/Computers/Servers to the switch instead of to the router.

Any switch should be smart enough to realize that it's local-only traffic and keep it that way.

Otherwise look at the configuration of your router if you don't want to buy a switch.

LarkStarr

is there any internal network happening? or are those computers linked directly to the individual ISP's network?

cmak

is there any internal network happening? or are those computers linked directly to the individual ISP's network?

every thing is tied to the dual wan router as it has 8 ports, server, printer 5 computers,+ WiFi equipment.

server is static running through DSL (WAN1)...works great.
the rest of the network uses the high speed cable line. (WAN2)....works great.

However the way you have to configure the router for each WAN is as if there are two separate routers on two seperate ISP connections. From what i can see it seems they are locally isolated.

Just wondering if there is any set up terminology/tricks iam missing in the router settings that would connect my server/NAS, locally, so file transfer does not go back up to the ISPs gateway.

cheers,

botat29

it's because your server and the rest of the network are not on the same subnet like 192.168.1.xxx you can acces the server because it have a web access but I'm sure your server can't see the rest of the network, put the same subnet on the server too and use port forwading for the server

KaptCrunch

for all stations or 1 are talking about for data transfer ?

peer to peer via cross-over cable (only 2 stations) cheap solution

LarkStarr

indeed, so if it is creating two different local networks, the trick would be to configure them to be on the same local network (192.168.1.0 or whatever you have set up) - How to do that on that router I'm not sure, but there must be a way. Screenshots of the configuration page might help.

cmak

Yah....iam getting transfer rates of less than 2Mbs...and all my cabling is cat6, registering 1000mbs lights on the router......

my server is set with an external static IP, and has its own internal IP.

LarkStarr

yes, but is that internal IP on the same subnet as the rest of your internal network?

better question.. if you unplugged/disabled the isolated WAN network, would you still be able to transfer files between the two computers?

Latest posts