What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Help me build a NAS

Cypher^64

Hey guys, been using a old HP ProLiant as a server to store my backups. Thing is HOT, can get LOUD and can eat power.

I'd like to build a cheap(ish) 1u (consider a 2u), 2 bay (min) rackmount nas. Probably use some version of Linux (FreeNas?).

I have plenty of 3.5" drives, I was considering the NETGEAR ReadyNAS 2304 but I'm not sure how loud the fans get.

What would you recommend? Again, doesn't have to be a speed demon as it is literally only going to be used to store about 1.5TB in VM backups.

MARSTG

You can just get a regular desktop case with plenty of 3.5" drive slots, install fans in the front, and throw FreeNas on it from a usb drive. It depends how safe you want your data to be, personally I would choose mirrored pools, and from what I read you need to have a ssd for storing the parity logs. If you want pure storage, it seems that even a C2D can get the job done, but if you want to do more stuff like Plex consider an i5. You DON'T NEED ECC RAM !

Cypher^64

You can just get a regular desktop case with plenty of 3.5" drive slots, install fans in the front, and throw FreeNas on it from a usb drive. It depends how safe you want your data to be, personally I would choose mirrored pools, and from what I read you need to have a ssd for storing the parity logs. If you want pure storage, it seems that even a C2D can get the job done, but if you want to do more stuff like Plex consider an i5. You DON'T NEED ECC RAM !
It's purely for storage of my backup vm's. Needs to be rack mount. If it dies, it's not the end of the world so mirroring is fine (even overkill).

Cypher^64

Was hoping to keep it around $500 if I could. I had a 4bay Qnap years ago and it was a solid device, just not looking to spend a whole lot on this as the requirements are low.

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Latest posts

Twitter