What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Help me build a NAS

Cypher^64

Hey guys, been using a old HP ProLiant as a server to store my backups. Thing is HOT, can get LOUD and can eat power.

I'd like to build a cheap(ish) 1u (consider a 2u), 2 bay (min) rackmount nas. Probably use some version of Linux (FreeNas?).

I have plenty of 3.5" drives, I was considering the NETGEAR ReadyNAS 2304 but I'm not sure how loud the fans get.

What would you recommend? Again, doesn't have to be a speed demon as it is literally only going to be used to store about 1.5TB in VM backups.

MARSTG

You can just get a regular desktop case with plenty of 3.5" drive slots, install fans in the front, and throw FreeNas on it from a usb drive. It depends how safe you want your data to be, personally I would choose mirrored pools, and from what I read you need to have a ssd for storing the parity logs. If you want pure storage, it seems that even a C2D can get the job done, but if you want to do more stuff like Plex consider an i5. You DON'T NEED ECC RAM !

Cypher^64

You can just get a regular desktop case with plenty of 3.5" drive slots, install fans in the front, and throw FreeNas on it from a usb drive. It depends how safe you want your data to be, personally I would choose mirrored pools, and from what I read you need to have a ssd for storing the parity logs. If you want pure storage, it seems that even a C2D can get the job done, but if you want to do more stuff like Plex consider an i5. You DON'T NEED ECC RAM !
It's purely for storage of my backup vm's. Needs to be rack mount. If it dies, it's not the end of the world so mirroring is fine (even overkill).

Cypher^64

Was hoping to keep it around $500 if I could. I had a 4bay Qnap years ago and it was a solid device, just not looking to spend a whole lot on this as the requirements are low.

Latest posts

Twitter