What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Help me find a good mobo

Lanboy

Banned
Realtek works fine on MS OS, they will not work on stuf like ESXi but on MS it work fine.

For your board, from what I read on other post, you will use some raid card, I think it will be usefull to tell use how many PCI or PCI-E you need on that board

MARSTG

why don't you just get a NIC with Intel chipset? wouldn't be easier? As for realtek chipsets they work fine at 100Mbps but try to get them to pass 1Gbps, see then problems. I have one discrete NIC with Realtek that does not do that.

Lanboy

Banned
why don't you just get a NIC with Intel chipset? wouldn't be easier? As for realtek chipsets they work fine at 100Mbps but try to get them to pass 1Gbps, see then problems. I have one discrete NIC with Realtek that does not do that.

You can't conclude with only 1 nic, A lot of thing can make any nic not reach 1 Gbps, 1Gbps = 125 GB/s; you need an HD ( should read storage) up to this level to achieve it.

Blu

The reason I was looking for a intel lan card was cause there are some issues with the unraid kernal and some realtek cards, Sorta just don't want to buy something that isn't going to work yea know :)

Borg

Banned
Why not google the realtek chipset and the 'unraid' or whatever you will be using with it? That way, you might see if there are any issues? Whatever hits is returned might have some info or workarounds.

I think the common lan chipset on recent motherboards is the Realtek 8111E?

Hardware Compatibility - unRAID

According to that source, the 8111E might not be a good choice.

As of May 2011, the Realtek 8111E NIC has been established as being very troublesome in the unRAID environment (see this thread for an example). While it is possible to make this NIC work, it is generally recommended that it be avoided if you want a hassle-free build. There have been no other widespread reports of problems with all the other versions of the Realtek 8111 NIC.

So, if building a new system, definitely get a LAN card if you buy a mobo with that NIC chipset or get one with an Intel one. Depending on your budget, I think the one I previously recommended would be ideal. If you're going with SB, it has the Intel NIC and offers integrated graphics if you ever need it.

Solace

never had a issue with a onboard realtek. the comparison to dedicated cards is not noticeable unless dealing with large throughput on a network. even then the realtek still does plenty fine and the difference is next to none.

MARSTG

You can't conclude with only 1 nic, A lot of thing can make any nic not reach 1 Gbps, 1Gbps = 125 GB/s; you need an HD ( should read storage) up to this level to achieve it.

I agree with you, but jumping only over 12.5MB/s means it transfers at gigabit speeds. every modern hdd can ouptput more than that, I don't mean to have the max output of the standard on paper but at least half of that. TP Link TG-3468 with Realtek chipset 8111/8112 I think. Coupled with an Asus Gigabit switch GXD 1081 I think. The only time I have seen the gigabit led on was during the install of Win 7 after that went back to 100

MARSTG

Realtek NICs even work at gigabit speeds....
Really? what settings/hardware do you use? because the mobo in your system specs is said to have marvell controller. I already set it to 1.0 Gbps in the duplex settings in the driver.

Latest posts