What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

help me...I have screwed up so badly!!!

sswilson

Staff member
Except for photos, although I backup onsite, I don't have good offsite backup. Need to move that off the eternal to-do list into action! Soon... :)

Microsoft 365 Personal. Full stop. :)

Yes it's a subscription, but you won't find a more economical 1TB of cloud storage anywhere.

gingerbee

Ya, the only thing I don't have set up well is the offsite backup, but picks and the whatnot are all on my google account and on the archive pc plus its backups.\
The only thing I don't like is that is all in my house. but I and the ex-wife are talking about using each other house as safe offsite storage with each other's HDD backups.

Lysrin

Microsoft 365 Personal. Full stop. :)

Yes it's a subscription, but you won't find a more economical 1TB of cloud storage anywhere.
I've been paying for Google One Basic (I think that's the new name now), $2.79/month for 100GB. I've added the family to that too, mostly for pictures backup. I can go up to 2TB with that plan for $13.99/month (cheaper if you pay annually). That is more expensive than 365, but it is 2TB rather than 1TB, and since all the family uses Google Photos, it might be better to have more space there?

I'm guessing it wouldn't be straightforward to have Google Photos automatically backup to 365 cloud storage? Or maybe they play nice together?

This is getting us off the OP topic. We won't wander far down this...

Edit: Looks like 365 Family is $11.00/month, so Google's bit more for another TB doesn't look too bad. I also have Office through a conventional license, so Office 365 isn't a big selling point for me currently. If I didn't have that, then that might tip the scales to Microsoft.

sswilson

Staff member
Microsoft Family provides 1TB of storage each for up to 6 individuals for $110 annually. The sub is also stackable for up to 4 years so what I do is grab a sub online when staples has one of their "$10 off of $50 purchase" sales (I buy the personal so I'm dealing with an $80 purchase, but Staples usually has higher discounts for $100 during the year).

It's good to see that Google appears to have improved their pricing over the last few years though.

The only thing I don't like about 365 for cloud storage is the way they do files on the mobile app.... seems to store them as a single file on the device so you don't have a folder to point to for things like audio files.

MAK

Try using Testdisk (www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download). It is free, and will undelete partitions. I've used it to recover files from several seagate external drives.

Install it. (with your 2 tb drive disconnected). Now reconnect the 2 tb drive, turn the computer on, and in windows run testdisk. The interface is old and clunky, but it has been a very effective little gem.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
Try using Testdisk (www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download). It is free, and will undelete partitions. I've used it to recover files from several seagate external drives.

Install it. (with your 2 tb drive disconnected). Now reconnect the 2 tb drive, turn the computer on, and in windows run testdisk. The interface is old and clunky, but it has been a very effective little gem.
yeah, this is what my tech's both said they use. just trying to find out the process for a partition recovery. it's command line and I suck at command line cause of dyslexia :p

Lysrin

what would you deploy for an offsite backup solution?
What would I deploy? Not sure I'm following. I'd just go with a paid cloud solution of some flavour; more of the Google I have or something else if it's more attractive.

Doing a physical offsite backup, as in doing a backup and then physically taking that to a safe deposit box or another person's house, is just something that for me would get out of date too fast. I don't have time for that. I need an offsite backup that happens while my PC is on for something else and I have to think very little about it. I'd like to think I'm more diligent than that... but I'm not ;)

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
What would I deploy? Not sure I'm following. I'd just go with a paid cloud solution of some flavour; more of the Google I have or something else if it's more attractive.

Doing a physical offsite backup, as in doing a backup and then physically taking that to a safe deposit box or another person's house, is just something that for me would get out of date too fast. I don't have time for that. I need an offsite backup that happens while my PC is on for something else and I have to think very little about it. I'd like to think I'm more diligent than that... but I'm not ;)
gotcha. I say the properly paranoid person should have a backup of their backup of their backup. onsite, offsite and then cloud or another offsite. and by offsite, hopefully not nearby as if there is a catastrophic event, it could affect a whole region.

Lysrin

gotcha. I say the properly paranoid person should have a backup of their backup of their backup. onsite, offsite and then cloud or another offsite. and by offsite, hopefully not nearby as if there is a catastrophic event, it could affect a whole region.
You're not wrong, but I'd be happy with myself if I finally got to onsite and offsite via cloud, one of each lol

Latest posts