What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Help Me, Intel or AMD for upgrade

LegendMask

Mr. Friendly

yes. AMD Ryzen CPU's have been picky with RAM. this third gen is supposedly much better than the first...but getting AMD centric RAM is worth it in my view. if it was a big price difference, perhaps I'd reconsider...but being only $10, it's negligible.

LegendMask

yes. AMD Ryzen CPU's have been picky with RAM. this third gen is supposedly much better than the first...but getting AMD centric RAM is worth it in my view. if it was a big price difference, perhaps I'd reconsider...but being only $10, it's negligible.
Sounds like its worth it, JD posted few days ago that it works out of the box but I didn’t get it that time, now it makes more sense

ipaine

Looking at a few different sources it looks like 3200MHz CL14 is almost exactly the same as 3600MHz CL17.

I am tempted to look towards those TridentZ Neo sticks but it looks like we can only get the CL18 ones in Canada. Personally I would love the Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZN 3600MHz at CL16, but nowhere to be found.

Tough choices to be honest. Oh well I'll see what is available when I go to purchase.

JD

Staff member
Personally I would love the Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZN 3600MHz at CL16, but nowhere to be found.
I'm wondering if things are being held up due to the trade war as well? I know Cryorig has put out a statement saying that's why their products have basically disappeared from North America in recent times.

Dwayne

Here is a link to Hardware Unboxed
they ran a comparison on a few games with Intel and Ryzen and with 4 video cards. Not exhaustive benchmarking, but enough to give you a feel.

Like everyone says, use case is the driver for choice. Gaming gets the best bang out of faster clocks, usually, regardless of the cores. Productivity get the best bang out of cores, with clock speed a consideration but not the be all to end all.

I found one thing interesting on the testing, the R5 3600 was, for the most part, even with the R9 3900X when it came to the games they ran. If I was building a system today, I would consider looking at that set up from a cost perspective. Decent cores, good performance, and the newest platform available.

Mr. Friendly

that is interesting Dwayne...being the 3900X does have a higher base and boost clock over the 3600(x).

I could see the 12 and 16 core CPU's running into the same single threading issue that Threadripper suffers from...I wonder...

Twitter