What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Help me pick best parts for rig

hero1

Hey everyone. How is it going? So I have been waiting for the GTX 780 to come out and here it is. Now I had ordered watercooling parts for the CPU and I cancelled. I originally wanted to watercool everything and I will do so, however, my case the FDD XL R2 can't fit full height radiators for either 240 or 280. So my choice is to wait for the NZXT H630 and sell my current rig.

Here's how I want the loop to be:

Res-->Pump-->CPU-->Chipset-->280mm rad---> GPU1-->GPU2-->360mm rad-->Res

My rig: ASUS Max V Form, Core i5 3570K, eVGA GTX 780 (SLI in a week but won't out the second card until I have the watercooling stuff), 16 GB Ram, 256GB SSD (getting another since I gave one to my wife) etc..:bananafunky:

Inputs are welcome

Last edited:

lowfat

Staff member
Titan blocks and backplates are compatible w/ GTX 780.

Loop order is also completely meaningless. Because our loops are so small water temperature reaches an equilibrium throughout the entire loop.

Block choices and radiator choices also account for very little when it comes to performance. All blocks perform within a couple of degrees of each other. Same goes w/ radiators. Just make sure you go w/ a low FPI radiator if you are going to silence. Also if you are going w/ 140mm radiators make sure the fan spacing of your case matches the fan spacing of the radiator. Most cases use 20mm spacing between the 140mm fan mounts BUT most radiator manufacturers use 16mm spacing. HWLabs is the only one I know of that still uses 20mm spacing on the radiators. They are unfortunately expensive but without a doubt the leader when it comes to build quality and aesthetics.

That is a fantastic looking block IMO.

hero1

Titan blocks and backplates are compatible w/ GTX 780.

Loop order is also completely meaningless. Because our loops are so small water temperature reaches an equilibrium throughout the entire loop.

Block choices and radiator choices also account for very little when it comes to performance. All blocks perform within a couple of degrees of each other. Same goes w/ radiators. Just make sure you go w/ a low FPI radiator if you are going to silence. Also if you are going w/ 140mm radiators make sure the fan spacing of your case matches the fan spacing of the radiator. Most cases use 20mm spacing between the 140mm fan mounts BUT most radiator manufacturers use 16mm spacing. HWLabs is the only one I know of that still uses 20mm spacing on the radiators. They are unfortunately expensive but without a doubt the leader when it comes to build quality and aesthetics.

That is a fantastic looking block IMO.

Yeah I like the waterblock and it's the one I am going for. I want a full sized rad so long that it has low fpi for sure. I will do 120mm fans for 360mm rad and 140mm for 280mm rad. I will make sure to look for ones that have 15-16mm spacing. My current case has 15mm spacing for 140 mm fans.

marquee

Alphacool rad look really sexy and Fpi is low. I am not 100% but I believe the spacing for a mounting them is 16mm. You can also get them from 45mm to 80mm thick in 140mm wide.

hero1

I will definitely have to look for a better case or mod this one. I have taken a look at the NZXT H630 and I like it. The other option would be to air cool the cards and custom water cool the CPU. I like Alphacool stuff, they have 15mm spacing and EKWB have 16mm spacing for mounting. I am most likely to buy everything from EKWB. Now I just need a case.

What do you guys think about this kit: EK-KIT H3O 240 HFX - Kits - Starter Kits & Chassis

Things that I have picked:

Rads:
EK-CoolStream RAD XTX (360)
EK-CoolStream RAD XTX (240)

Blocks:
CPU: EK-Supremacy Elite - Intel 115x - CPU Blocks - Blocks
GPU: EK-FC Titan XXL Edition incl. Backplate - GeForce GTX 7x0/Titan Series - Full Cover for Nvidia GeForce - VGA Blocks - Blocks

Res and Pump
EK-RES X3 250 - Reservoirs - Reservoirs & Accessories
Laing D5 Vario 12V DC Pump (MCP 655) - Pumps - Pumps & Accessories

Last edited:

hero1

Where do you plan on buying your equipment? Buying from the EKWB store is generally expensive.

I intend to buy it from Dazmode. But I might buy the rest of the stuff from EKWB since I have an account with them and they have offered me 10% off at the checkout. So what's your take on the kit? I don't like the CPU block so I might just put something together on Daz with the CPU block that I have picked, shown above.

lowfat

Staff member
You will be paying brokerage fees if you buy from the EKWB store as they use DHL. I had to pay $40 at my door for two GTX680 blocks last year.

I sent a message to Daz earlier to see when he'll be getting the XXL Titan blocks back in stock. Buy buying those blocks @ his store I'd save like $70 on two blocks.

As for the kit, it isn't bad but I don't like the pump much. I like to stick w/ Laing when it comes to pumps. I've been using them for nearly 10 years and have never had any issues with them.

The block included will perform identically to the Elite above, it just doesn't look as nice.

Latest posts