What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

help me! please!

i have a question for linus or anyone else who can give advice. I have a gaming/ws pc and i recently reduced the cable clutter by installing 2 pci-e Y splitter adapters for my graphics cards. my question is, given the power hungry nature f graphics cards, will i see reduced performance or damage to the cards if i continue to run them using the adapters or am going to be ok? So far i havn;t noticed any issues. :sad:

Sys specs.
Cpu I7 2600k @ 4.5
Board Gigabyte P67a-ud5 b3
Gpu's 2xgtx 580 in sli (ones an evga, ones an msi card):punk:
Case Corasir 650d
psu Coolermaster m1000

i plan on liquid cooling the cards in the near future and also doing a decent OC on each of the cards. THX for any replies

Below is a similar cable to the one i am using.

Attachments

enaberif

i have a question for linus or anyone else who can give advice. I have a gaming/ws pc and i recently reduced the cable clutter by installing 2 pci-e Y splitter adapters for my graphics cards. my question is, given the power hungry nature f graphics cards, will i see reduced performance or damage to the cards if i continue to run them using the adapters or am going to be ok? So far i havn;t noticed any issues. :sad:

Sys specs.
Cpu I7 2600k @ 4.5
Board Gigabyte P67a-ud5 b3
Gpu's 2xgtx 580 in sli (ones an evga, ones an msi card):punk:
Case Corasir 650d
psu Coolermaster m1000

i plan on liquid cooling the cards in the near future and also doing a decent OC on each of the cards. THX for any replies

Below is a similar cable to the one i am using.
A power supply that requires adapters is either cheap or crappy or both!
Oh its a Coolermaster it is both!

I would not use adapters for such large cards like that and get a proper PSU.

it's not cheap or crappy, and i opted to use adapters to reduce cable clutter. i have 4 other pci-e 6+2 pins that i can use but i just want to know if it's safe to use. the psu can handle more than 2 580s so it's not cheap or crappy.

enaberif

it's not cheap or crappy, and i opted to use adapters to reduce cable clutter. i have 4 other pci-e 6+2 pins that i can use but i just want to know if it's safe to use. the psu can handle more than 2 580s so it's not cheap or crappy.
Trust me Coolermaster is not a good brand for power supplies. They aren't bad but by far not the greatest.

And what you are using are called extensions which are perfectly fine to use.

sswilson

Staff member
I wouldn't recommend using an adapter either, but OTOH, since the majority of the current draw is across the 12V line(s) would wonder if it would make that much of a difference on a single 12V rail PSU so long as the cabling is sufficient to carry the load...............

(Better safe than sorry though, and I personally wouldn't do it just for the sake of a cleaner look.... ;) ).

trayton

I also would not recommend using adapters for this I know cables are no fun to try to hide and place for good airflow etc but in this case I think its worth it to have a little more clutter and run things in the proper manor then use those adapters that I would never recommend. I'd treat that the same as saying hey your car should have synthetic oil but hey give it a try and put non synthetic in and see how long she goes! :)

Latest posts

Twitter