What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Help me upgrade

dma0991

I'd keep your current CPU and just get a HD6950/HD6970 instead. I would suggest that you skip at least 1 generation before upgrading your CPU so that you have performance that you can actually feel. The SB may be fast but definitely the upcoming Haswell would be even faster. Save the money from getting a better motherboard with 2 PCIE 16x. A single powerful GPU is better IMHO as you don't have to worry too much about scaling issues, game support for multi GPU, power consumption, heat and noise.

Sleal

Alright well then I guess I'll just be a patient boy and wait :blarg:

Closer to BF3 release I'll move up...maybe even gtx 580 prices will come down enough for me to justify one!

Thanks for the help guys

_dangtx_

Banned
good. i scored some 580's around 350 a pop,and one at 290 with a few smudges on the cooler lol. wait,it had a crack too.meh.

Sleal

So I couldn't contain myself...

And bought another XFX 6870 and an EVGA P55 3-SLI board...

Except that it has to ship from the Toronto warehouse :S

I figured that for under 400 I could get more than a single 580 in max performance and have the abaility to even go 3 way in the future if I wanted. This upgrade will cost me about $370 in the end...hope it all works out!

Now I have to consolidate all the crap I want onto my spare HD for the reformat. Anything else I should do prior to putting the new stuff in?

_dangtx_

Banned
cool, but does the EVGA P55 3-SLI crossfire too? just a thought :)

not much there. your psu will be fine.

Sleal

cool, but does the EVGA P55 3-SLI crossfire too? just a thought :)
Uhhhhhhh ohhhhh...

Actually I didn't even think of that when I bought it just assuming it would. I just did some quick searching and it seems like xfire is supported...My stomach just dropped a bit though lol

_dangtx_

Banned
if it was the other way around i wouldnt worry, a couple clicks give you sli on most not supported mobos..but to get crossfire working?
someone must do the clickie thing too! :D

Latest posts

Twitter