What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Help needed

gingerbee

Ya so I would consider a zen+ CPU and a b450 motherboard something like a ryzen 2600 or 2700 there great prices for the performance

cpu's

motherboard's
there are 2 good ASUS boards on that page

the last MSI board I believe supports ryzen 3000 series out of the box could be wrong but could leave a good upgrade option

Ddr4 options the last 2 are cheaper but I don't have experience with so can't speak to how well they work or not

besides all that a basic cooler would work well

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=am4+cpu+cooler&crid=H33L0AJHT955&sprefix=am4+cpu,aps,159&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_7

something like a hyper 212 from Coolermaster should do you fine on both those CPU's as long your not overclocking

price around 600$ give or take 75$ with taxes and cooler

you could throw in an rx 580 or gtx 1060 3/6 gb really up to you I think the Nvidia one would help more but its been a long time since I was doing photo editing so I am not 100% on this statement but I would consider going used to keep your cost down
hope this helps a little good luck and have fun banana (y)

Last edited:

damadama

That's a lot of very helpful information, thank you. Can you suggest any used sources that are reputable?

gingerbee

eBay is the only one I tend to trust in Canada you can also go aliexpress but you have to be super picky about who you deal with there and not be in any rush ( parts take fro every to come sometimes )

But I would just go eBay cause you're in Canada. but there may be better places on the west coast where I think you said you are kinda hoping folks out there can chime in

damadama

My current OS (Win 10 Pro) is on an 2556gb M2 drive which I would like to clone onto a bigger M2 drive. Is there any way to do this directly given I have only one M2 socket on the motherboard?

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Yikes, this thread went pretty crazy. But TBH, I think several of the suggestions are overkill. You've got a decent system already, plenty of ram too, no need to replace it all.
If I may, I'd suggest the following:
#1) get yourself an i7-47xx cpu, others with more knowledge in Intel stuff can be more detailed, but in short it should fit your board just fine and double your thread count (4t to 8t)
#2) Get yourself a used gpu with lotsa CUDA cores. You can find 970s for under 200 easily. Possibly 1050/1060s for 200-300$.
#3) (the weird one) I saw your board has some some slots on it? I didn't see which board you have, but regardless, you may want to consider this: grab a PCIe to nvme adapter and a modern nvme SSD. Doesn't have to be massive, you want it for speed. Yes yes, I know you've got SSDs galore already, but they're all limited by sata restrictions. A nvme SSD running directly from one of the PCIe slots will go at least 2-3x faster than your fastest Sara SSD, which will also help with your applications.
#3a) Alternative: if you can move some data around you can get more speed from those SSDs by putting two or more into a raid 0. Not as fast as the nvme option, but it'll cost Nadda.

Either way, all three options together shouldn't even hit the low end of your 600$ budget. Hope it helps.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
My current OS (Win 10 Pro) is on an 2556gb M2 drive which I would like to clone onto a bigger M2 drive. Is there any way to do this directly given I have only one M2 socket on the motherboard?

Ha, i didn't even see the m.2 slot. Is it only m.2 though? If so, suggestion #3 still stands methinks. M.2 and sata are almost equally slow.

damadama

Thanks for jumping in here, I must admit I was getting a little (lot) overwhelmed. Can you explain/expand on two things please? GPU with lotsa cores? PCIe to NVME adapter.

The motherboard is an ASUS Z97-A; from the manual: 1x M2 Socket 3 with M key, type 2260/2280 (supports PCIE SSD only). The expansion slots are: 2x PCI express 3.0/2.0 x16, 1x PCI express 2.0x16, 2x PCI express 2.0x1, 2x PCI.

This is all pretty much a foreign language to me at the moment hence all the questions.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Ha, i didn't even see the m.2 slot. Is it only m.2 though? If so, suggestion #3 still stands methinks. M.2 and sata are almost equally slow.

@damadama be careful here, as this isnt fully accurate.

M.2 is a physical format. The connector will be the same, but the compatibility can be SATA or PCIE. One is significantly faster than the other (PCIE).

M2 SATA is literally the same speeds as SATA3 (500mbps)
M2 PCIE is ~6 times faster (3000mbps vs 500)

They also wont work across each other unless the slot is specifically SATA/PCIE designed. As your previous specs state, your motherboard is ONLY pcie compliant for the M2 slot.

Latest posts