What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Help on build

kurisu

Well, I've decided I want to upgrade from my DFI LP UT SLI-DR Expert and 4800X2

I've been out of the loop as far as hardware goes for a few years now, and I am not sure which is the best choice. I don't have a set budget, but I probably won't do anything over 5,000.

My current thoughts are
  • nVidia 9800GTX 2-way SLI (Not sure which one I should get, so many flavours)
  • Thermaltake -Something- with Watercooling.
  • OCZ or Corsair DDR3 4x2GB (Also not sure which ones to get, Looking to pay less then 600-700 for two sets of 2x2GB)
  • I already have 5 Seagate 7200.11 500Gbs, so I don't need any HDs
  • I have absolutely no idea which motherboard to get, I'm looking for the best though, I will be doing 3-way SLI eventually, and may be over clocking, I want to have the option at least.
  • QX9650
  • Not sure which powersupply is best these days, I'm using an Enermax Modular 650w which has served me well. I am guessing I will need some major wattage to overclock this with all the stuff I want to put in it (3 way SLI)
Any information/critiques, or suggestions on what to get would be very much appreciated!

kurisu

What do you suggest then? I have a Full tower Black Armor right now, And I love it, I have a ton of HDD and other such things, and I like all the room.

Im looking for something with a lot of room, spiffy features, and hopefully either a really good built in watercooling, or the option to add one without case modding.

kurisu

Thanks for the tip, I think I am going to get the new Armor+, Im trying to keep my previous setup intact. Any comment on that? Is the Armor+ any better worse? One issue I had with the Armor was the lack of removable mobo tray, as well as some minor issues ports on top, they look like they have been cleared up in the Armor+.

I really need to know what mobo is the best out there for this setup right now, I've heard a lot of mixed opinions regarding the 790i, and I don't know much about Skulltrain.

EDIT: I'm looking at some benchmarks, and can't see any real benefit from using DDR3, is there really any point? Should I stick with DDR2?

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
If you want to go with an internal water cooling set-up, you absolutely have to give the Coolermaster Cosmos-S a look for a mod-less internal 320 rad install. (As chance has it... I've got a mini-worklog in the cases section.... :) ).

DDR2 Vrs DDR3 is a tough question these days... we're finally seeing some reasonably priced sets of DDR3, but the amazing prices of DDR2 are hard to argue against.

Wish I could help out on the motherboard side of the house, but I haven't seen a lot on the newer Nvidia chipsets.

As far as PSUs go.... if you really think you might go 3-way SLI sometime in the future, you're probably best to look at a quality 1000+ PSU to future-proof your rig. SKYMTL is our resident PSU guru, hopefully he'll chime in with some suggestions, but expect a bit of sticker shock. :)

Welcome to HWC!!!!!

kurisu

Thanks, I have actually lurked here for quite a while when doing bits of research on various hardware, but never really had a reason to join... To be perfectly honest, I don't have the same soft spot for the Coolermaster cases as I do with the Thermaltake cases, they just come with so many damn bells and whistles, especially internally. I've been reading reviews and benchmarks all night, clearing up what is actually out and not.

I was under the impression that Skulltrain was out from all the talk I have been hearing, but I guess I was wrong on that.

Considering I want to do some SLI, my only logical choice is 790i chipset motherboard, though I am slightly wary. I've used nvidia chipsets for years, and everyone has had all kinds of quirks. Anyway, this is what I am currently looking at.
  • QX9650
  • XFX nForce 790i Ultra
  • 2 9800GTX (If I need it, I can always grab another later)
  • Armor+ Black Fulltower with ESA
  • 4 or 8gb of DDR3 OCZ or Corsair (deactivating pagefiles ftw)
  • A yet to be determined 1000w+ PSU
  • A yet to be determined water cooling setup
  • Any other bells and whistles.
I'd like to use the large vents on the bottom of the Armor+ to install a decent radiator. I'm almost completely new to watercooling though, so I am not sure how that works.

Also, it should be noted that I live in a very old building, with very shoddy wiring. My Enermax has served me well, as it has survived the constant flickers of power, and power outages that seem to only plague my building. I've worked for a bit fixing computers in the area, and one of the most frequent problems I see are dead PSUs.

Can anyone recommend a decent pair of headphones, something that has very high quality cord, or a replaceable one if such a thing exists. I have a serious problem with breaking corded peripherals, especially headphones. Im very rough on them, and I always end up with a pair that only has sound coming from one side.

Last edited:

kurisu

I got in touch with a friend who is a genius with hardware yesterday. He shot me down with this build. He started talking about a GTL stepping error or something in this version of the Quad cores, as well as serious CPU degradation going on if you increase the voltages. As for the video card, he went on about how the 9800GXT was mainly a filler, and a better 9900GTX will be out within two months. Anyone have any comments on that?

He suggested going with a Q6600 and switching it out later to a 45nm quad when they had worked out more of the bugs.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
You really can't win the "wait until XXX card is out" game but we are getting pretty close to the EOL of this line of cards for both Nvidia and ATI. All of the new(er) cards are based on the same tech with either higher core clocks, or slightly tweaked hardware. If you don't mind waiting 2-3 months to see what comes out, this might be one of the few times it is worthwhile to do so.

On another note... if the power in your building is that crappy, you might want to invest in a good UPS/Line Conditioner. A quality PSU is going to help with that, but as with all things, line conditioning isn't it's primary purpose, so you're better off with something designed to do it and leave your PSU to do the job it's designed to do.

kurisu

Alright, I will keep that in mind. Anyone know anything about degradation and problems with the QX9650? I'm starting to wonder if he is just spouting BS, I've heard maybe one mention of it.