What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Help overclocking E6600 on Asus P5KC

Jamz

Every time I try to overclock my E6600 on this board no matter what settings I've adjusted I either get "overclock failed!" message when system is trying to POST or I get these messages "Unknown CPU detected. BIOS update needed to unleash its full power. Press F1 to continue.", then after pressing F1 I get this message, "The file is possibly corrupt. The checksum does not match the computed checksum."

I don't have any problems though with running everything on default settings.

This is a brand new mobo that I installed yesterday. I updated the BIOS to the latest 0804.

I know this E6600 can at least do 3500 MHz as that was what I was able to get it up to stable with my last EVGA 680i mobo.

Anyone know what's wrong?

***UPDATE***

ok so I figured it out a little.... I realized that it was the RAM settings... apparently it'll only overclock if I set the RAM 1:1... it doesn't work with any other divider even if I relax the timings a lot.... so right now I have it set to 8 x 400 = 3200 MHz with the RAM running at DDR2-800. My Crucial Ballistix Tracer RAM is rated for DDR2-1066 though and I'd like to get it at least to run at spec.... but when I try to use any other dividers I get the overclock failed or unknown cpu messages and my computer won't POST.... I know this RAM will overclock to 1200 MHz with 6-7-7-18 timings, 2.2v because I had it at that daily on my old motherboard.

Also I noticed that when I check CPU-Z, Orthos and CoreTemp, CPU-Z reports the cpu frequency as 3200 MHz (as I set it in the BIOS) but Core Temp and Orthos show cpu freq as 3599 MHz (450 x 8). What's going on there?

Last edited:

Twitter