What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Help picking a Home Theater Receiver

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
So, being Boxing Day sales and all, I'm looking to pick up a receiver for my mancave. I'm looking at spending about $500 before tax.

The Yamaha HTR6250B caught my eye - Audio: Home Audio & Speakers: Yamaha 7.1 Channel Receiver (HTR6250B) | Best Buy Canada Web Store

7.1, Upscaling, accepts audio over HDMI, multiple digital audio inputs. I've got a 46" Aquos, Shaw HD-PVR, PS3 I use for DVD and Blurays, and Wii to connect to it. I'm probably just going 5.1 on the speakers, but the 7.1 is a nice option in case we move.

Anything wrong with this pick? Other suggestions in the same price range?

I'm also looking for suggestions for speakers/subs. Ideally, I'd like to spend less than $1000 total before tax for the whole system.

Thanks,
Gord

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Personally, I'd take Onkyo's or Denon's Audyssey MultiEQ over the Yamaha YPAO. I believe the YPAO on the unit you have linked only configures itself for one position while the Audyssey can configure 3 (lower end receivers) to 6 (slightly higher end units).

enaberif

So, being Boxing Day sales and all, I'm looking to pick up a receiver for my mancave. I'm looking at spending about $500 before tax.

The Yamaha HTR6250B caught my eye - Audio: Home Audio & Speakers: Yamaha 7.1 Channel Receiver (HTR6250B) | Best Buy Canada Web Store

7.1, Upscaling, accepts audio over HDMI, multiple digital audio inputs. I've got a 46" Aquos, Shaw HD-PVR, PS3 I use for DVD and Blurays, and Wii to connect to it. I'm probably just going 5.1 on the speakers, but the 7.1 is a nice option in case we move.

Anything wrong with this pick? Other suggestions in the same price range?

I'm also looking for suggestions for speakers/subs. Ideally, I'd like to spend less than $1000 total before tax for the whole system.

Thanks,
Gord

$1000 for a complete system is pretty tough considering a good receiver is $400-600 bucks and a good sub can cost upwards of $300-400 and that doesn't even include speakers.

Bookshelfs are good for the rear while towers are better for the front and you'll also need a good center.

JD

Staff member
Speaker wise, maybe one of these packages:
Future Shop: Audio: Home Speakers: Polk Audio Home Theatre Speaker System (RM75BD) (8" sub)
Future Shop: Audio: Home Speakers: Polk 5.1 Home Theatre System (RM75FS) (10" sub, same speakers it seems)
Future Shop: Audio: Home Speakers: Klipsch 5.1 Home Theatre Speaker System (HD Theater 500)

Then receiver wise:
Future Shop: Audio: Receivers: Denon 5.1 Channel HDMI 1080p Home Theatre Receiver (AVR-590)
Future Shop: Audio: Receivers: Denon 7.1 Channel HDMI 1080p Home Theatre Receiver (AVR-790)

It would get you started for under $1000, but of course scarifies are made at that price point. I'm quite happy with my Yamaha HTR-6140B, Polk Audio RM95 speakers and Boston Acoustics CS10 subwoofer. It ended up being $1045 before taxes ($270, $425, $350), but I got the receiver and sub last year. However it lacks quite a bit in music performance, but movies/games/TV are fine. Luckily music isn't listened to much on it.

Last edited:

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Depends on the size of the room though. I have a mid sized room (15ft by 25ft) and my Onkyo SR 507 + KEF 1005.2 setup sounds killer.

enaberif

Speaker wise, maybe one of these packages:
Future Shop: Audio: Home Speakers: Polk Audio Home Theatre Speaker System (RM75BD) (8" sub)
Future Shop: Audio: Home Speakers: Polk 5.1 Home Theatre System (RM75FS) (10" sub, same speakers it seems)
Future Shop: Audio: Home Speakers: Klipsch 5.1 Home Theatre Speaker System (HD Theater 500)

Then receiver wise:
Future Shop: Audio: Receivers: Denon 5.1 Channel HDMI 1080p Home Theatre Receiver (AVR-590)
Future Shop: Audio: Receivers: Denon 7.1 Channel HDMI 1080p Home Theatre Receiver (AVR-790)

It would get you started for under $1000, but of course scarifies are made at that price point. I'm quite happy with my Yamaha HTR-6140B, Polk Audio RM95 speakers and Boston Acoustics CS10 subwoofer. It ended up being $1045 before taxes ($270, $425, $350), but I got the receiver and sub last year. However it lacks quite a bit in music performance, but movies/games/TV are fine. Luckily music isn't listened to much on it.

Problem with ALL those setups like that is they use VERY small and tiny speakers which don't allow good sound reproduction for movies OR music nor can they be turned out much before distorting.

JD

Staff member
Problem with ALL those setups like that is they use VERY small and tiny speakers which don't allow good sound reproduction for movies OR music nor can they be turned out much before distorting.
I know, but it sounds like SugarJ is just wanting to get started into things, so I think they'd all be okay entry level systems.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
We all have different hearing; personally I don't like the sound from Yamaha amps (I own a Denon / Klipsch setup).

Best advice? Do not ever buy audio hardware based on specs. Buy with your ears.

Find yourself a Futureshop (or any of the like) and make sure you listen to the exact amp/speakers setup you like on paper. Do not crank it up - since those stores have very large rooms, it will not sound the same in your basement. If you can find a shop specialized in audio, then they have rooms which are closer to a "normal" listening room with walls closer to the listener...

Don't buy cheap either, otherwise you will be stuck with the equipment once you wish to expand. Buy an amp, and worst case 2 speakers. Then expand once funds are available (add a sub, center, front/rear satellites).

Latest posts