What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Help please: What's Causing this?

mjpd1983

Hi

I'm running a 5870 with an e7600 (3.06ghz) at 1680x1050 and i notice alot in crysis warhead that the screen stutters sometimes (noticeably when driving the hover craft on ice 'adapt or perish')

All other areas play very smooth but from time to time it stutters on different levels

Do you think the CPU is causing this?

Do you think maybe an i5 750/mobo/ddr3 RAM upgrade could help with this? if so how much of an improvement would the upgrade likely give?

Thanks guys:biggrin:

Arinoth

Staff member
You're correct in assuming that your bottleneck is your cpu/mobo/ram. You should see a big jump as your CPU will have a bigger cache, running faster, same with the ram, as well as you'll have more cores (i5s have 4 threads if im not mistaken) which some games benefit as it balances the load across it rather then bogging down 1.

_dangtx_

Banned
for that cash? get a second card or maybe a 775 quad 12meg cache in the 100 dollar range?

mjpd1983

Cool thanks guys

Say for instance i went for the i5 750 upgrade, out of the following motherboards what would be best *gaming performance wise* for my system specs?

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3R

EVGA P55 SLI MOTHERBOARD

ASUS P7P55-LX

Thanks in advance for the help:biggrin:

Zero82z

Banned
Motherboards have practically no effect on performance. Pick whichever one you like the best in terms of features, layout, design, brand, etc.

Arinoth

Staff member
Thats not completely true Zero, i would consider how well it can overclock part of performance as i've had some motherboards be more overclock friendly than others.

mjpd1983

Thanks again

Yeah thought they didn't really have too much say in performance (apart from overclock tolerance/multi gpu support) but thought i best double check with you guys

Really hope the i5/mobo/ddr3 upgrade has some kind of noticeable performance effect (even if only slight)

:biggrin:

Caldezar

Didn't I see you posting a similar question concerning upgrading your system in another thread here? I believe you mentioned in that thread that you're running a 32bit OS. That likely isn't helping your cause with a limited access to RAM. I'd personally consider that a bigger 'weak link' than anything else in your rig. I can play Crysis flawlessly on my wife's rig, and it's an e5200 with 4GB RAM and a GTX260 on a vanilla P5K board. The 64 bit Windows 7 really does make a difference.

mjpd1983

Yeah i did mention similar things in another thread (apologies for starting similar multiple threads) but i wasn't sure at first what thread it should go in

Yeah i think XP 32 bit would have something to do with it as well

Thanks for the heads up, i'm looking into 7

Cheers :thumb:

Zero82z

Banned
Thats not completely true Zero, i would consider how well it can overclock part of performance as i've had some motherboards be more overclock friendly than others.
True, but at the same time, most decent boards nowadays have similar overclocking potential anyway as long as you aren't getting into extreme overclocking territory.

Latest posts