What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Help remembering a case - Dual system?

CMetaphor

Quadfather
there was also the Mozart TX by Thermaltake. interesting how Tt has made a lot of dual chassis, eh? LoL!

That is the one I found/posted. Isn't it? Maybe a didn't check the link, but it should be the TX variant.

When i first read you post I was pretty sure I knew exactly which one you were talking about. I had reached out to a friend because he had one and all i remembered was a weirdly tall rectangle with an iTX chamber, and it was the Mozart he had. He was fiddling with peltiers and I'm pretty sure he put the controllers and such in the iTX chamber. You were faster googling than me reaching out to him though.

No worries, the effort is appreciated nonetheless. What really threw me off was I had thought it was much smaller than it actually was. The TX is damn huge! It's no wonder I went the modding route instead of getting that case or one like it.

sswilson

Staff member
You know, you just made me realize that I'm not sure if I ever did post the solution I came up with for a dual system? I mean, I did the mod like ten years ago but don't think I ever posted photos or anything. Not sure if anyone on the forum really cares about it at this point tho.

That being said, maybe modding is an option you could try? ITX is SMOL dude, can be squeezed into many full tower cases. So if you can't find a case for your needs, maybe make it yourself, if you want?

@Everyone else: I wasn't actually looking for other dualy case suggestions. But thanks all the same!

Yeah... you could shoehorn one in almost anywhere assuming you could come up with a way to power it... A pico PSU would do the trick for a low powered proc, but ideally I wish we could get more thin itx options on this side of the pond.

Izerous

Folding Team
What really threw me off was I had thought it was much smaller than it actually was.

I remember swinging by his place when his first put it together the pictures they always showed at the time really didn't make it seem that large but the thing was an absolute monster in size.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
PC + Hackintosh with a monitor with build-in KVM?

Eehhhh I've considered internalizing a KVM in the past and tbh I'm glad I've never gone there. KVM wires, even just basic VGA+1xUsb ones, are thick, don't like to make hard bends, are normally pretty bland/ugly and there's never a place to hide them very nicely.

As for dualy builds: my first dualie was just a simple net PC and gamer stuck into the same case. I never liked running multi monitors from a single GPU, so the gamer got the big screen, only, and the net PC got the secondary screen. Turned out to be advantageous and fun too. Can boot one without the other (IF you give them independent PSUs, I didn't always do this and for while Actually ran an internal Pico PSU that stole it's power from the unused 4-pin motherboard 12v connector coming off the gamer PC's PSU). And the net PC bein independent just feels smoother than alt+tabbing and such. Do what you want on the secondary PC, knowing it won't affect the main.
One caveat though: you'll want to invest in a mini mixer to handle all the audio complications that using two PCs can create. I've got a cheap but useful Behringer 302. Connect both PCs to it and i can easily control the volume of each, while also being able to easily switch between headphones and speakers (or both) at will.

Just some food for thought?

moocow

Well there are software KVM out there but I haven't used any of them. In the Hackintosh example, if you share a lot of Adobe files and use external print shops, there are still some font difference between PC and Mac. Just because there are OpenType and TrueType doesn't mean your clients will like them. All tho the boot manager in Hackintosh will let you boot into a Windows HDD so the dual system layout is really for the lazy that don't want to reboot or for whatever reason need to switch between the 2 systems but can't use Windows in VirtualBox.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
I tried such a software KVM once, think it was called Synergy or something like it. It wasn't that bad, with a wired connection on both PCs the roll over from one to another was pretty smooth. However, i did end up dropping if when the program wouldn't always start reliabily on the PC that had no kb/mouse, forcing me to grab a spare mouse a connect it and/or a keyboard to get the program running again. Nowadays, since i still use two PCs constantly, I just have a mouse for each connected 24/7 and use an A/B switching usb hub for the keyboard. Never need to worry about software issues. Just my 0.02$.

Latest posts