What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Help: Running 400ft Ethernet Cable

IchiZoo

Technically maximum length of 100m is not 100m of horizontal run; 90m of horizontal run and 5m of patch cables on each end. And there should not be any issue with 100base-tx because I am using 100m of CAT5e for my Fast Ethernet and it performs well(94Mbps and even 1ft is the same), but if you consider 1000base, I'd recommend a good quality MM fibre too.
If you think of scalability, a pair of optic fibres is capable of any transmission speed from 100Mbps to 10Gbps or could be faster as long as a module uses an MM fibre; you just need to swap SFPs or other modules. And no EMI issues as already mentioned.

bkh2

Thanks for all the replies. For this job, I just ran regular cat5e with the repeater since they had a switch that provided PoE. But I will definitely look into fiber runs in the future. And @Bissa, you're right. Those prices are actually not as high as I would have expected. It is definitely an option for future works.

Latest posts