What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Help understanding this Meter

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Hey all long story short I love in a place that divides 4 places side B is me and wife's side and the the downstairs apartment Side A is the fsimly of 6 plus there downstairs neighbors.

Side B is 3 Adults in total inc the downstairs apartment
Side A is the faimly of 6 Plus the 2 they have in the other downstairs apartment.

I don't have a Grow Op or a Mining farm I barely get to game or watch tv we don't have electric heaters and we don't plug our vehicle in overnight.

Can anyone make heads or tales in how our side with 3 people are using nearly 14000 KWH more power then 6 people on the other side of us?

Attachments

• 1634685315849.png
    1634685315849.png
    476.7 KB · Views: 18

clshades

power theft maybe? I'd definitely be calling the utility company to check it out. There were a lot of bad meters installed back in the day that either register too high or too low. So there's that too.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
whats odd though is that for a year and half our power was maybe $210-$250 a month if that and that was when i could game on my monster rigs.

then the previous owner sells the the Quadplex and a new tenant moves in suddenly power usage spiked to $1100-1250 a month

sswilson

Staff member
whats odd though is that for a year and half our power was maybe $210-$250 a month if that and that was when i could game on my monster rigs.

What usage (in KWH) are you showing from your previous bills? Do your meters reset after each billing period or do they go by the difference between current and previous?

Is what's showing on the meters for the current billing cycle, or is it perhaps a total from when "ownership" of the account last changed hands?

gingerbee

Ya as SS has stated there is a lot of info needed to understand the meter, but going from $250 to $1250 something ain't right there, the easiest way is to find out the KWH used for any billing period before the jump then look at after if you see a huge KWH increase then something in the other apt is sucking juice or its been tapped into.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
the previous bills were low ill see if i can find the pic he showed. they do reset i believe even if dont doesnt make sence with the other guys meter stays so low.

According to the bill from July 12 to August 11 our side used 1941 kWh of power.

Attachments

• 1634688879866.png
    1634688879866.png
    123.7 KB · Views: 10

JD

Staff member
So your meter is shared with the downstairs tenants? Sounds like you should probably talk to them if your habits haven't changed drastically. Perhaps the downstairs tenant is running some crypto farming.

Though I wouldn't compare to neighbours either. My hydro bill says I use something like 50% more than my neighbours, but if I walk around my area in the evening, everyone lives in darkness apparently. I guess I enjoy having lights on, and of course all the computers, servers, etc :)

gingerbee

holy shit I use a lot of power loads of PCs and screens on most of the day and my power is about half of that. I run about 1100kwh a month max that's AC unit/dryer/washer/oven/microwave/8 big screen tv/4-6 pcs/security system, So not sure how you could use that much power in a month

sswilson

Staff member

then the previous owner sells the the Quadplex and a new tenant moves in suddenly power usage spiked to $1100-1250 a month

Sorry, I missed this part.

Yeah, either the meter is fubarred or it's also possible that something got messed up WRT billing when they changed hands (like maybe they added the apt to your account instead of the other one? ). Or, has already been mentioned, somebody is actually stealing your power.

I'd be calling hydro to get them to check it out.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
tried talking with the new owner he said he had a electrician look into it tat doesn't fly with me id want the actual hydro company to look into this as it doesn't make sense as our habits if anything have been on decline.

he wants to add a extra $500 a month onto the already insane $3100 + wants $900 in compensation for the sudden spike lol.

come to think of it we did get a notice on our door prior to this about a power disconnection notice.

all utilities are included in this place but when we got that we couldn't get ahold of the new owner.

Latest posts

Twitter