What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Help understanding this Meter

gingerbee

UMM not a fucking chance he needs to have the hydro company come look at it if your paying 3100+ a month he needs to fix this you haven't changed anything, yet he moved a new tenant in and thinks you should have to pay for the increase, fuck that. go out and buy some power meters and keep track of your own power usage and show him this is bullshit.

I had to keep track of all my power to show my old landlord that the hallway lights I was paying for were not costing $5 a month as he thought it was more like $25 which caused him to run out and install led t8 blubs to fix the problem.

how clueless is this owner he should know it's pretty hard to use that level of power and he should know what the power usage was before he bought it considering it was an investment property he would have been given all this info to see what the property carries for all-in monthly

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Yeah, if you're sharing with a new tenant then chance are he's got a grow op or he's got wall to wall mining. Something isn't right if your bill has changed that much and you haven't changed your behaviour.

Might be time to move if your landlord is trying to pull that.

crazyea

If
tried talking with the new owner he said he had a electrician look into it tat doesn't fly with me id want the actual hydro company to look into this as it doesn't make sense as our habits if anything have been on decline.

he wants to add a extra $500 a month onto the already insane $3100 + wants $900 in compensation for the sudden spike lol.

come to think of it we did get a notice on our door prior to this about a power disconnection notice.

all utilities are included in this place but when we got that we couldn't get ahold of the new owner.
If utilities are included he can only raise it by the amount the government sets each year for tenancy increases.

ipaine

That is really high. My place, just a townhouse, uses about 800-1000 KWh normally, but July was 1500KWh cause of the high temps and had 2 portable ac units running 24/7. I also have multiple computers running 24/7 so I am sure that doesn't help.

And having them go after you for the extra cost is total BS. First if it is like here the prices did make some big jumps and lots of people had crazy high bills. Second a new tenant moved in and the landlord is blaming you? Like I said BS, and if he really wants to get out of paying then get 4 meters and stop including power.

No way would I pay anything extra.

gingerbee

the other thing I am trying to figure out is what the hell you are paying per KWH cause even at 1100KWH in Orillia on Hydro one my bill was only $240 a month, why such a huge jump for double. I am on time of use and the rates are on-peek 17.0 mid 11.3 off 8.2 cents per KWH.

So wondering how is your bill $1250 and I am wondering are you seeing these bills yourself or just pictures he's sending you. if so I would want to see the paper bill from the power company your dealing with, just a precaution

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Yeah this is all about the time the new tenant moved in down stairs this place has 2 3 bedroom units and 2 bachelor's it's a newer building too was built about 3 years ago.

The landlord should know all this as he was a real estate agent for nearly 30 yrs.

Now that the new tenant moved on it doesn't seem to be racing to highest number but still doesn't make sence that the faimlys next door are at 2026 kWh while we're at 16669 kWh lol.

At one point he tried to say it was my monster computer taking up a big portion of the power Wich sure if it was on 24/7 mining / Rendering it might take a small portion.

We'll see what he does on the new year as we sighed a lease for a year before any of this started happening.

Thanks for all the suggestions and confirmations that this kinda power usage isn't normal.