What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Help understanding this Meter

On2wheels

Wow these are scary high consumption numbers. Shadowarez I can see this getting into a situation where the other tenants won't like you asking so many questions, the landlord trying to keep his hands clean, and you just wanting to even the playing field. Keep us posted!

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Will do as the new year approaches I'm sure he will want to raise the issue about this but I'll do more research and call on housing authority to help as they seem to actually be there to assist in this.

Plus we really really love this place I love the garage I'll fight for this place as it's worth it but not if scummy tactics like this prevail then it'll be time to hunt for a house.

sswilson

Staff member
Yeah this is all about the time the new tenant moved in down stairs this place has 2 3 bedroom units and 2 bachelor's it's a newer building too was built about 3 years ago.

The landlord should know all this as he was a real estate agent for nearly 30 yrs.

Now that the new tenant moved on it doesn't seem to be racing to highest number but still doesn't make sence that the faimlys next door are at 2026 kWh while we're at 16669 kWh lol.

At one point he tried to say it was my monster computer taking up a big portion of the power Wich sure if it was on 24/7 mining / Rendering it might take a small portion.

We'll see what he does on the new year as we sighed a lease for a year before any of this started happening.

Thanks for all the suggestions and confirmations that this kinda power usage isn't normal.

I did a quick and dirty calculation that came up with somewhere around $50/month for 2X 12 core procs, + 3X mid range GPUs.

There's no way a "casual" miner is using that kind of power. We're heavy power users in this household but our monthly total (for a summer month) is 1436 kilowatt-hours with the hardware I mentioned above mining 24/7. 16000 KW/h is 10X that.

Last edited:

crazyea

I'd ask the landlord to pull up the last few months of history. I know my landlord tried to get me to pay more saying costs went up, but when I asked to see the bill he shut up right away.

crazyea

And they can get away with it too if you don't ask to see proof because the hydro company wont even tell you what the previous months of usage was like "due to privacy concerns".

My landlord was like "that's too much clerical work for me." lol

moocow

I don't rent but wouldn't getting some advise from rental board be advisable here? Sounds like the landlord is trying to screw you.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
yeah they are the first people we contacted when of all times the landlord sent that email.
it just had to arrive the day of my grandmas funereal as well so there was some bitter words had with the landlord about timing and why he waited nearly 3 months to say anything and they demand for $950 that day.

the rental board advised that we do not pay for something we weren't responsible for as it seemed to spike the same time the new tenant moved in. as we can show we haven't changed anything in a yr and half infact we added UPS systems for our electronics as power outages were frequent.

ill do as suggested here and ask the landlord for bills from Jan 1st till end of oct as the downstairs neighbor moved out in the end of August so the power should have dropped by 95%

crazyea

yeah they are the first people we contacted when of all times the landlord sent that email.
it just had to arrive the day of my grandmas funereal as well so there was some bitter words had with the landlord about timing and why he waited nearly 3 months to say anything and they demand for $950 that day.

the rental board advised that we do not pay for something we weren't responsible for as it seemed to spike the same time the new tenant moved in. as we can show we haven't changed anything in a yr and half infact we added UPS systems for our electronics as power outages were frequent.

ill do as suggested here and ask the landlord for bills from Jan 1st till end of oct as the downstairs neighbor moved out in the end of August so the power should have dropped by 95%
Just so you know. Unless you signed a document that says specifically that you accept email as a form of service delivery, then anything sent this way is not enforceable. Nor is a text message or phone call. A landlord must put it in writing and either hand it to you personally (or someone over 19 who lives with you), post it on your door, in your mailbox, fax it to you, or send it via regular mail or registered letter.

Anything else you can ignore.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
just read up on that contacted the rental review officer here in YK as they closed there office to the public because of covid.

so i sent a nice long lengthy email detailing whats going on and what i can do to get this matter looked into and resolved as we want to know the reason incase this happens anywhere else or if we buy a place so can pinpoint the issue right away.

crazyea

A landlord can ask you anything he wants. He can ask you to replace the roof or date his daughter. It doesn't matter. This is just conversation. A lot of people don't know their rights so many landlords try to push things in this manner. If, and only if, he puts it in writing, will you have to worry about it at all. Then you can dispute it with your residential tenancy branch. The major thing with landlord tenant disputes is evidence so keep every single email or text that you get from him to prove your side if it every goes to arbitration.