What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Help understanding this Meter

On2wheels

A landlord can ask you anything he wants. He can ask you to replace the roof or date his daughter. It doesn't matter. This is just conversation. A lot of people don't know their rights so many landlords try to push things in this manner. If, and only if, he puts it in writing, will you have to worry about it at all. Then you can dispute it with your residential tenancy branch. The major thing with landlord tenant disputes is evidence so keep every single email or text that you get from him to prove your side if it every goes to arbitration.
This.
I once took my property agent to the rental tribunal in Ottawa, small claims court for tenants. In the secure building and underground parking I was in, the garage door was left open all weekend once so thieves went in at night and broke into Honda cars for the airbags to sell on the black market (circa 2003-2004). No one else in the building had the guts to join me and stand up for ourselves. The building management company was let off because they had proof they ordered the door to be repaired and the parts were back ordered, hence the delay and door left open. I was so stunned in the courtroom I basically let them walk all over me.

With the hydro company on your side I'd think you'd have a big advantage, but I guess they only care if the bill gets paid(?) There has to be some tenant association who will take your side in this.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
hopefully the rental office can help but i seriously feel the power meter is bugged out or our side is routing all 4 apt through our meter.

Cannon Fodder

hopefully the rental office can help but i seriously feel the power meter is bugged out

Seems pretty likely, based on what you've said up to this point.

or our side is routing all 4 apt through our meter.

Except, if that was the case, this discrepancy would've existed since day 1, and this issue wouldn't have reared its' ugly just when some new tenant moved in, and carried on after they've left. Either that tenant somehow messed something up, or the meters on that building are FUBAR. :unsure:

Shadowarez

Folding Team
yeah i dont know if you can see but it also seems our meter is the preferred spot for ravens to do there business.

clshades

You mentioned something about frequent power outages and having UPS systems everywhere. Those power outages the whole block or just your place.

Solace

we signed a new lease prior to any of this but he has yet to give us a actual copy of it as it stated the power can be renegotiated if it ever spiked above the regular usage in past.
Demand a copy of the contract, the wording sounds like complete ass and would never have you liable for anything. To re-negotiate means to have a mutual agreement upon a determined situation. Without your consent that just means negotiations fail. It does not obligate you in any way to change your current conditions. A court would find that a single excess of usage is not "reasonable" grounds to force you to pay your utility bill as there are probably some rules that may aid a landlord in the event of abuse by a tenant.

Now if the clause stated if utility every exceeded a "specific" threshold and then you would be liable for that excess for a static value or % of the amount it would be a different story.

FYI until you receive a signed copy of your new contract, the old still is valid.

TLDR tell him to piss off (nicely), its not even your responsibility to contact any other organzation and you are wasting your own time and effort.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
yeah its defiantly putting stress on wife as she wants to move having to deal with this as it shouldn't be this difficult the contract shoulda been handed the same day we signed or least a day later.

soon as i get a copy ill examine the areas about this and if the tenant board gets back to me.

Valkyrie

a mining op or grow op is the only thing i can see sucking back that much power as my rig though monstrous in size is not on 24/7 when it is barely 2-3 hours a week some months.

we signed a new lease prior to any of this but he has yet to give us a actual copy of it as it stated the power can be renegotiated if it ever spiked above the regular usage in past.

like in that one pic it showed barely 700kwh that was just before the tenant moved in in the bachelor apt below us. then it spiked i mean even a doofus can see if he has access to the previous months / year usage was well below 1000kwh a month for nearly 14 months then a new person moves in suddenly power spikes to 1940kwh+ maybe just maybe something is going on.

and warrants a proper investigation from say the power corp not a Electrician that doesn't provide any documentation to the tenants about what the issue could be other then entering our unit without notice which is whole other can of worms and not giving anything in way of what the spike could be attributed to other then seeing my Monster Rig and mentioning it could be this which was off for 4 days prior to that visit ><

but i have a long email sent into to the rental review board hopefully i get a call back if not i will follow up when im finally off work and see what can be done to get this done and in writing.

@Shadowmeph im hoping so as it doesnt make any sense that me. checking the meter regularly since the guy moved out it doesnt look as though the meter is sky rocketing like but still insanely high. it would be far better to have the power corp do some testing to see if something is off with the meters as im sure a family of 6 plus 2 others in the other unit on A side are using a wee bit more then 2026kwh in a month.

Is this considered okay in Yukon Territory? (The entering your unit without notice part in case the bold is not obvious enough.)

Shadowarez

Folding Team
its supposed to be 24 hr notice far as im aware it was in the old contract and new. and for power outages its whole block the city is building a new school just behind us.

crazyea

its supposed to be 24 hr notice far as im aware it was in the old contract and new. and for power outages its whole block the city is building a new school just behind us.
And that 24 hr notice must be in writing served in the manner I described earlier in the thread. Not a phone call, email, or text message.

Latest posts