What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

help with freezing

ccm001

Website
www.google.com
I'm trying to fix a relatives computer for them. First it wouldn't start at all, turned out to be the psu. I replaced the psu, turned on the computer, heard an electrical "pop", smelled a burned smell, but the computer started up.

Now it freezes and locks up all the time. In windows (xp), in safe mode, running diagnostics off a boot cd (so in dos), running an antivirus boot cd (norton),. I can't even run any full diagnostics or malware removal because it will lock up.

I know my cousin had trouble with it randomly shutting down and restarting - but that was probably the bad psu.

Its an old aopen system running xp, I'm not even sure the complete specs right now. I can post that later. I can't even find any identifiers or model number on the motherboard.

Any ideas or tips where to start? Could it be ram? Could the psu be too much? It had an old aopen atx 300w psu, I put in a thermaltake 430watt (Newegg.ca - Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W ATX12V V2.2 Power Supply). Should I go out and buy an older atx generic psu? Appreciate any insight.

Perineum

You can't overpower a computer with a larger PSU. The computer will only take from the PSU what it needs. The only concern is to pick a PSU with enough headroom for future expansion and large or small enough that the PSU is running at a load that it can run efficiently at. Some PSUs will run a computer fine but with terrible efficiency if the PSU is too big or too small. I only ever buy 80PLUS PSUs now for that reason.

My guess, if the motherboard caps are indeed fine, that the new PSU blew a capacitor. Somewhere a capacitor let out the magic smoke....

martin_metal_88

Can also be a VRM of other chip on the board. Look at all the little black square chip if there is a hole or any sign of burn of them.

ccm001

Website
www.google.com
Can also be a VRM of other chip on the board. Look at all the little black square chip if there is a hole or any sign of burn of them.
One of the little black square "caps", just to the left of the cpu heatsink, looks like it has a hole. It looks more like a rust spot, but there is a definite indentation when I run a precision screwdriver over it. So could that be the culprit? Can that be replaced?

Latest posts

Twitter