What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Help with Lian LI Bora RGBness

G777

First build in some time and decided to have a go with lighting effects in a new chassis.
Relevant parts are:
Case; Lian Li Dynamic XL (Black) Mobo: Asus Maximus XI Code CPU: 9900K

Misc: Koolance Cpu 380 block, XSPC 360rad, DDC 3.25 pump intergrated into Heatkiller Tube 200 with short stand.
And the issue, 6 Lian Li Bora digital LED fans.

Trying to wrap my head around powering and controlling the fans and the multitude of headers on the board. There are, best I can tell 4 headers on the board of 2 different types. Two 5v 3-pin headers that are RGB addressable for LED control on fans and two12v 4-pin labeled RGB AURA which are I believe for controlling LED STRIPS.

So powering the fans has been relatively easy so far, the issue is making connections with the motherboard. There a multitude of adapters included with the fans which allow you to daisy chain both the power and RGB connectors into a single connector. There is also a LED lighting strip in the front of the Dynamic XL which according to the instructions has to be plugged into one of the 5v mobo header; so i need 3 5v mobo connectors but only two - at least afaik.

Is there a simple fan controller hub out there that will solve this issue? The ones I have found are for power only. Any help or suggestions appreciated!

sswilson

Staff member
Bora or Boralite? (My PC-011 RGB came with Boralite fans).

If it's boralite, it looks to me like they've got a daisy chain connector and thus you'd just plug one into the MB header and then the rest would daisy chain together.

If you bought the 3 pack of Bora fans, it looks like it comes with a hub that you would plug the fans into and then that would plug into a single motherboard header (make sure it's a 5V one and not 12V or you'll fry the leds).

G777

Bora or Boralite? (My PC-011 RGB came with Boralite fans).

If it's boralite, it looks to me like they've got a daisy chain connector and thus you'd just plug one into the MB header and then the rest would daisy chain together.

If you bought the 3 pack of Bora fans, it looks like it comes with a hub that you would plug the fans into and then that would plug into a single motherboard header (make sure it's a 5V one and not 12V or you'll fry the leds).

Thanks for the reply sswilson. Its the Bora version, I have daisy chained a group of 4 onto one header and a group or 2 onto another. (haven't powered system up yet so not 100% sure if this will work)
That leaves me no place to put the connector from the lighting strip on the front of the case which seems to need the same connection as the fans

sswilson

Staff member
Don't you have the lighting controller shown in the newegg listing? You should be able to plug all 6 fans into that and then have a single connection going from the controller to a single header on the motherboard. If not, did the set come with any extenders that would allow you to extend the two outliers into the daisy chain of the first 4?

G777

Don't you have the lighting controller shown in the newegg listing? You should be able to plug all 6 fans into that and then have a single connection going from the controller to a single header on the motherboard. If not, did the set come with any extenders that would allow you to extend the two outliers into the daisy chain of the first 4?
Well I couldn't figure out a way last night :) I will have a look at it again when I get home this evening. The ones are have are below

sswilson

Staff member
Ok, according to that, It looks like the included controller is a fan controller as opposed to a lighting hub. The only option then would be to see if there were any extension cables included in the kit.

sswilson

Staff member
If you don't have extension cables with your fans (or they're not long enough) you can grab a kit like this...

Or, ask around to see if anybody local has some left over from a build. I've got quite a few spares between the different sets of corsair fans/sets I've installed.

G777

Thanks again for the reply, those are for 4-pin 12v led strips I think? Either way extensions are not the issue

Something like Amazon.cathis might do the job

sswilson

Staff member
I don't know for absolute sure, but I believe the pin spacing is universal. The only thing I'd be concerned about with the CM unit you linked to is that it claims to be for CM fans and I don't know if they're proprietary or not (a very common problem in the RGB lighting marketplace).

Maybe something like this? (Showed up in the "also viewed" panel of the extenstion cords I'd linked to earlier)

edit: These look to be 3 pin....

Latest posts