What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

here's the beginner NAS to buy!

JD

Staff member
If you enable snapshots on QNAP (probably other products have a similar feature), you have some protection from malware/viruses/ransomware and even just accidental over-writes. I like the network recycle bin feature too so I can restore files if I accidentally delete them.

I think the DIY approach has improved a lot in the past few years with unRAID and FreeNAS taking the forefront, but I'm not certain I would suggest using "old" PC parts to run your NAS since that's what I used to do and never had much success. I suppose "old" hardware is better today than what it used to be, but it still depends if it was top-tier gear when it came out or not.

MARSTG

I have the newer version TS231U-C, and just put a 2 TB Toshiba and a 2 TB WD Black. No more single drive storage for me after losing one 4 TB single drive. Terra Master is Silverstone btw.

Entz

1.) Smaller footprint.
2.) Less power consumption.
3.) It just works.
4.) Off the shelf support for things like LACP/LAG, FTP, remote backup, DropBox, etc.
I completely agree. Maybe because I am getting older, or maybe because I just don't have the time to fuss with things but having it work out of the box, great built in app support, not having to worry about component compatibility issues (Looking at you FreeBSD) or having an apt-get upgrade do something stupid and take the array offline.

I have been super serious about replacing it with a QNAP box. They are actually moving towards enabling ZFS on all their x86 boxes that have sufficent ram. Been looking at a TS-873 for that reason (I have my own 10g cards I can add, can even add an external HBA to it for expansion). The Asus ones look super good as well. I would never get a Arm one for serious storage as they seem to have issues with encrypted volumes, though your not going notice unless you have 5+ drives and 10g.

Mr. Friendly

also...I guess I could just grab two or three external 8TB drives and have one at my place and then one at local relatives and have them sync from mine during the night when we're all asleep. then I'd have a main copy, a back up of my main and a back up of my back up. LoL!

FreeKnight

Given all this discussion from some of the members with a bit more experience, what's the best 'bang for buck' NAS that I could use for Plex and light use as a remote file server / NAS (mostly to dump some company files, scans in once in a while, very little active use and primarily small (<5MB) writes?

Two drives isn't the end of the world for me. I'll be lucky to ever break 8 TB of data even with plex. So as long as I have a backup that's enough.

Hell I could even live with a 1 drive NAS and just continue backing up my critical files to Dropbox and One drive as I do now, but it'd be nice to have a proper NAS.

4K plex seems to be the biggest cost to add, but it would be really nice to have.

Izerous

Folding Team
Any time I messed around with 2 bay devices I had nothing but problems. Some were pre-production models and related to work at the time one we bought for the office and both drives failed within hours of eachother before we had a chance to even rebuild the first failed disk so it was a total loss anyways.

MARSTG

Review for my unit. Silverstone released products under the Teratrend name, I got a bit confused there on the naming. Based on all the discussions, for the multiple drive configurations, the cheapest would be to build your own, based on old i5 corporate tower plus a sata card and throw FreeNAS over it, no need for raid.

Mr. Friendly

Any time I messed around with 2 bay devices I had nothing but problems. Some were pre-production models and related to work at the time one we bought for the office and both drives failed within hours of eachother before we had a chance to even rebuild the first failed disk so it was a total loss anyways.
drive failure is not the fault of the NAS. and if they were pre-production, you cant really fault the NAS either.

Latest posts

Twitter