What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

here's the beginner NAS to buy!

moocow

It's actually more like x1.7. My last AMEX bill with an Amazon purchase had a conversion rate of 1.35~. The math is actually pretty close if it's only x1.4 because you have to factor in the state tax of where the mail box is located then add Canadian tax on top if you're not spending 48 hours outside of the country.

gingerbee

I am just building my own server out of old gear I have laying around ( yes it is total overkill hardware )
I am trying not to buy a nas cause the one I would need would be 1000$ before drives the only thing I am unsure of is what software set up I will be using.

windows 10 storage spaces using parity
UNraid with cache nvme and parity
Drivepool and snapraid for parity

going to test the ways I have mentioned above to see what works best for me leaning toward unraid or drivepool cause I don't need speed I just need safety and bulk storage

Prickly007

Having done it both ways I would always choose the NAS over a server.... Less power consumption.
Out of curiosity, what is the power draw of a typical NAS?

then add Canadian tax on top if you're not spending 48 hours outside of the country.
Depends on the total, border crossing, the phase of the moon, etc. I've only been sent in to pay taxes when the total exceeded $400+ USD.