What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

hevc playback on android

Shadowmeph

so I am wondering if anyone using android is having issues with the hevc video playback I was using VLC probably in my eyes the best player out there but I am having issues when trying to watch hevc I was going to install mx player but I have been reading allot about complaints with ads popping up and I think that I remember this happening before on my last tablet was watching a video and all of these ads where popping up about stores in the area and things like that I really dont want that kind of crap happening also am wondering if it is possible like on a pc where I could just install a codec pack any ideas?

off topic I am having issues with navigating through the forums so if this post is in the wrong place please feel free to move it to the proper area :)

JD

Staff member
What Android device and OS version? That also generally plays a role as to whether the CPU supports it or not.

moocow

Is your device rooted? I usually have AdAway side loaded to get rid of most of the ads. I used to use MX Player but end up installing Plex on my server and stream my stuff.

JD

Staff member
Hmm, it does have HEVC hardware support, so you should technically be fine. Might just be VLC causing the issues...

I'd say try MX Player, even with the ads, just to see if it makes a difference. It's only $7 for MX Player Pro which isn't that bad if you do a lot of local video playback.

Another possibility would be to install Kodi and leverage it's player, though you'd have to deal with the interface as well.

I've used BS Player in the past too, I think it had less ads at least at the time. Not sure what state it's in now.

Latest posts