What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Hey do you guys need another GeForce RTX 2080 Thread?

FreeKnight

Sigh. Keep it civil folks, no name-calling. Suddenly the timing of my trip meaning I'll miss this launch is much more appealing. I'd forgotten how much bickering comes about with a new major launch.

That's why I've been pretty light here and will be until the reviews are out. Gets ugly in here sometimes :(

belgolas

Civility here eh?
I agree that I should be more civil but I am very passionate about PC gaming and right now Nvidia is hurting PC gaming.

Chill the **** out dude, I'm merely speculating on their business plan based on the available info. You're argument that my argument doesn't make sense also doesn't make sense, because my speculation is entirely valid. As you say price increases like this are rare, so Nvidia is clearly trying something different. Early adoption most certainly has been a part of gpu history, every few years there is some fancy new technique that is often released in an unpolished state with a heavy performance hit. I even provided the example of tessellation, which provided a heavy performance hit, particularly on AMD cards. There is also the example of the Titan cards, Nvidia is no stranger to offering premium gpu products outside of their consumer lineup.

Which brings us to the root of the problem. Demand for gpus is particularly high right now, and AMD is not competitive. Nvidia has beaten AMD at every turn in the gpu market for the last 5-10 years, from horrible tessellation performance to downright pathetic opengl performance. Cuda has more widespread adoption than whatever AMD is pushing. There is also the complete lack of any high end options from AMD for the last couple generations. Nvidia is once again proving that they are ahead of the curve, developing new technologies with little competition. I think it's perfectly valid for Nvidia to change their business model given that they now hold a monopoly on the market.

As to your personal woes in regards to the gpu situation, all I can say is "suck it up buttercup". I'm not a petulant child that gets upset when I can't have the latest and greatest shiny new toys. The computer market has been staving off inflation for years, and now when things get a little more in line with the rest of the economy the spoiled children come out to whine. If rising prices and stagnating wages bothers you, perhaps it is time to deal with the source of that problem. What entity do we know of that is capable of printing money on a whim to fund vast welfare programs, reaching into our pockets on a daily basis with threats of imprisonment if we don't pay up? Things are only going to get worse before it all goes tits up, enjoy it while you can, anger is such a draining emotion :whistle:

See there's where I always run into problems whenever someone says "anyone with half a brain knows..."
I think the trouble is that I have a full brain, which puts me at a significant disadvantage when trying to have discussions with half brained individuals :bleh:

I completely understand why Nvidia is doing what they are doing. I am not an idiot. I am just angry that they are greedy. Also keep politics out of this. Get enough of that on Facebook. I am not a "child" for not getting the latest and greatest toy. I can afford the 2080 Ti but have principles. I am just hoping that this won't cause a reaction for higher prices to be the norm.

turtletrax

Banned
Ah turtletrax... ever the voice of reason! :haha:

:haha: Thats me! Mr Reasonable!

I am actually sitting this one out too. Just about everyone I know that is into computers at all is as well. Even friends that had a stash saved for a new high end card recoiled in horror when they saw the prices.

I am betting prices will fall when Pascal stock is sold. But I am pretty sure that the escalation of high end prices has pushed me out of the hobby. I have been getting back into home theater. Just in time for social justice to ruin movies :clap:

D

Dark Knight

:haha: Thats me! Mr Reasonable!

I am actually sitting this one out too. Just about everyone I know that is into computers at all is as well. Even friends that had a stash saved for a new high end card recoiled in horror when they saw the prices.

I am betting prices will fall when Pascal stock is sold. But I am pretty sure that the escalation of high end prices has pushed me out of the hobby. I have been getting back into home theater. Just in time for social justice to ruin movies :clap:

I'm sitting it out as well turtletrax. I'm waiting to pick up a 1080 Ti or two instead of going with a RTX 2080 or RTX 2080 Ti. Last-gen cards still offer better price/performance in my opinion.

Gman109

I'm with the other logical people here - waiting for more accurate reviews of performance once more sites and channels get actual cards with mature drivers, and run more gaming benchmarks. I refuse to subscribe to either the sky is falling or this is the best release yet concepts. It'll be what it'll be.

I'll be upgrading regardless, I always do when new GPUs and CPUs come out. I'll have 3 1080tis and probably 1 Titan XP for sale here the day my 2080tis arrive. (I've always sold things in the first 30 minutes due to aggressive pricing here, so if anyone wants a good used 1080ti as some have said, I'll be posting the day the 2080tis ship in the FS section).

I will comment on the price of the 2080tis - ouch. I bought my 1080tis pre crypto craze for around 950$ incl tax/ship IIRC, and my Titan Xp for retail from the nVidia site. The new Asus and eVGA 2080tis I have pre ordered - $1649 before tax/shipping. OUCH. Like an 80% increase in price. I believe it to be likely that this time around nVidia will have a much lower price/performance ratio increase than from Maxwell to Pascal, big time, but that's just my opinion. Still, playing VR games these days - which don't support SLI - I need and want every little bit of performance I can get.

Which means moving my 2 8700k and one 6850 system all with 1080ti, 1080ti SLI, and Titan Xps, to 9900k and 2080tis.

SLI is another topic, nVidia has claimed that they are going to put more energy into SLI and that future game producers will get better support on their end, which hopefully will make SLI something a bit more useful with Turing. I'll believe that when I see it, but won't be unhappy if they do come through, as until the 1080 series I ran every machine I've had SLI since way back to the 12meg Creative Labs SLI cards in the late 90s.

belgolas

I wouldn't mind picking up a cheap used 1080 Ti but don't most games not support SLI nowadays?

Edit: Well I did some googling and even if the game doesn't officially support SLI you can use Nvidia Inspector to get SLI to work. So there may be some configuring to make games work with SLI.

Last edited:

turtletrax

Banned
I'm sitting it out as well turtletrax. I'm waiting to pick up a 1080 Ti or two instead of going with a RTX 2080 or RTX 2080 Ti. Last-gen cards still offer better price/performance in my opinion.

I am in a similar position. If anything I would grab another reference 1080ti for SLI, but I am doubting even that unless we see some pretty awesome prices on the used market.

I am still running 6850k, so I think that I would be upgrading to a newer platform if I do anything at all.

I hope enough people sit this round out and AMD comes out with a smash hit with Navi at a good price. Perhaps some of this bubble will pop.

Gman109

TurtleTrax, I'm running a 6850k B-E system too, 32 GB ram, 1080ti, 950m.2.

It really runs close to our 2 8700k systems, one has a TitanXP the other 2 1080ti/sli, but in most games we play (cockpit flight sims, and the usual suspects of other AAA titles), the 6850k is only a few % behind the 8700k systems (all 3 have mild-medium overclocks on CPUs, GPUs stock). While I agree on updating, I'm moving the 6850k to a 9900k first thing on the upgrade schedule this fall, the 6850k still performs pretty well compared to the current most popular gaming chip/8700k.

We have 2 27" 165hz Gsync Asus, 1 34" Asus (looking for one more if anyone ever has or sees a used one up for sale, Acer or Asus 34" Gsync), and 1 27" PG27UQ 144hz 4k unit. That and 3 Rifts and 3 Odysseys. In the vast majority of games the difference between the 8700ks and 6850s is very negligible so far as FPS on this LCDs and in particular with VR.

I agree 100% regarding AMD, I've wanted to build an all AMD system for a while now, and if they can come out with something fantastic, and worth it, I'll do so, so I'm in that boat too waiting.