What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Hey do you guys need another GeForce RTX 2080 Thread?

Lysrin

*snip*
Anyways I am pissed and you should be too if you have half a brain.

Just because someone has a differing opinion doesn't suggest they're less intelligent. Civility here eh? We are talking about luxury video cards for our expensive hobby; solidly in the first-world problem category.

I agree with you, they are certainly well out of the reasonable price range for most, and it'd certainly be nice if they were cheaper, but as we've said a few times people will still buy them at this price. I think mikjames' point was just that most companies want to make as much money as they can so they estimate what the market will bear and price accordingly. NVIDIA will likely sell a tonne, even at this price, and thus the market continues as is.

I am gonna buy a shit ton and mine with them ;)

Ah turtletrax... ever the voice of reason! :haha:

mikjames

It has been a long time since Nvidia has done a massive price increase. Your argument for early adoption does not make sense because that hasn't happened for most of GPU history. I am not arguing for free RTX GPUs. All I want is a reasonable price. As a consumer you should be pissed. I can't understand how anybody wouldn't be pissed. It just boggles my mind that anyone can defend the massive price increase. As I said before and in other threads I am completely fine paying a reasonable price. If these cards came in at $1000 CAD after taxes I would day 1 buy the RTX 2080 Ti. I truly hope Nvidia doesn't sell many of these cards because if they do you can be guaranteed that this will be the new norm.

The only Nvidia GPU series this reminds me of is the 8800 Ultra but that at least provided a nice performance boost but was too expensive for me.

Beside we still don't know much of these RTX GPUs. We don't know performance details and we don't know much about their real time ray tracing. I don't like the rumors that it is too demanding that it limits you to 1080p. So why the heck are people preordering till they are sold out is beyond me. Although we don't know how many cards are available for preorder so this could be just about increasing hype. Who knows.

Chill the **** out dude, I'm merely speculating on their business plan based on the available info. You're argument that my argument doesn't make sense also doesn't make sense, because my speculation is entirely valid. As you say price increases like this are rare, so Nvidia is clearly trying something different. Early adoption most certainly has been a part of gpu history, every few years there is some fancy new technique that is often released in an unpolished state with a heavy performance hit. I even provided the example of tessellation, which provided a heavy performance hit, particularly on AMD cards. There is also the example of the Titan cards, Nvidia is no stranger to offering premium gpu products outside of their consumer lineup.

Which brings us to the root of the problem. Demand for gpus is particularly high right now, and AMD is not competitive. Nvidia has beaten AMD at every turn in the gpu market for the last 5-10 years, from horrible tessellation performance to downright pathetic opengl performance. Cuda has more widespread adoption than whatever AMD is pushing. There is also the complete lack of any high end options from AMD for the last couple generations. Nvidia is once again proving that they are ahead of the curve, developing new technologies with little competition. I think it's perfectly valid for Nvidia to change their business model given that they now hold a monopoly on the market.

As to your personal woes in regards to the gpu situation, all I can say is "suck it up buttercup". I'm not a petulant child that gets upset when I can't have the latest and greatest shiny new toys. The computer market has been staving off inflation for years, and now when things get a little more in line with the rest of the economy the spoiled children come out to whine. If rising prices and stagnating wages bothers you, perhaps it is time to deal with the source of that problem. What entity do we know of that is capable of printing money on a whim to fund vast welfare programs, reaching into our pockets on a daily basis with threats of imprisonment if we don't pay up? Things are only going to get worse before it all goes tits up, enjoy it while you can, anger is such a draining emotion :whistle:

Anyways I am pissed and you should be too if you have half a brain.

See there's where I always run into problems whenever someone says "anyone with half a brain knows..."
I think the trouble is that I have a full brain, which puts me at a significant disadvantage when trying to have discussions with half brained individuals :bleh:

Last edited:

Jokester

Yeah I don't fully understand the anger. It's entertaining to follow though. You don't have to buy a new card. If you are in need of performance, pick up a 1080 for a good deal in the used market. Even the 1080 ti can be had for 700 cnd. Which we know works well.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Sigh. Keep it civil folks, no name-calling. Suddenly the timing of my trip meaning I'll miss this launch is much more appealing. I'd forgotten how much bickering comes about with a new major launch.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Sigh. Keep it civil folks, no name-calling. Suddenly the timing of my trip meaning I'll miss this launch is much more appealing. I'd forgotten how much bickering comes about with a new major launch.

I'm going to reinforce this; We've asked twice in GTX 2xxx related threads for people to keep it civil.

Any further non-civility WILL result in warnings being handed out.

You can debate things without retorting to swear words and name calling. Full stop.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I hope the 2070 or 2070 Ti is really as good as a 1080 Ti...I'd love that kinda horsepower at the lower wattage. :)

Given the size of the die, and the fact there was no node change, and the amount of dedicated die space to (potentially) unused feature sets (Ray tracing & deep learning) I would be HIGHLY suspect that these cards are going to be low wattage.

mikjames

Agreed, I get enough bitching from the wife, don't need an extra helping here :thumb:

Latest posts