What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

High CPU temps while [email protected]?

Konstantinov

I have an i7 3960x. Mind you, the ambient temp is probably higher in this room than most people's rooms at the moment, but even with liquid cooling, I'm getting temps above 70 degrees Celsius, up to 73. I don't get that high of temperatures while gaming, so I'm wondering why this happens while folding... I'm not too worried because I'm guessing 70, while undesirable isn't an extremely high temp in the grand scheme of things. It's also for a very good cause. Way To Fold

How bad is 73 degrees and how long can my CPU keep this up for?

SugarJ

Staff member
Gaming is usually GPU throttled, i.e. your GPU is at 100% while your CPU is at 75%. [email protected] pegs your CPU at 100%. Use OCCT to test and you'll see the same temps.

That being said, 73 is not dangerous. It's at the high end of my personal comfort zone, but I like to run things a bit cooler.

Konstantinov

placement of fans, rad, etc
I have the radiator at the back of the case (where most exhaust fans are on cases) in a push/pull configuration. I have 2x 200mm fans at the top of the case pulling air out. I have a 200mm fan on the side and a 200mm fan at the front as intake fans.

MARSTG

I don't get that high of temperatures while gaming, so I'm wondering why this happens while folding...
Folding is taxing the FPUs at max this is why the CPU is getting that hot, all the FPUs in the same time, which is not happening in games.

Latest posts

Twitter