What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

High Disk Usage Server 2016 Hyper-v VM

Cypher^64

Good day all,

Both my Hyper-V VM's (Windows 10) are running at 100% drive usage which leads me to believe it's the host OS (Server 2016)

The VM's are on a drive of their own (HP ex920).

I've turned off Windows Defender, SuperFetch and Windows search on all 3 OS's. Anything else to try?

Cypher^64

Hmmmm… I turned off the 2nd VM and disk activity dropped on the first one.

I did restore a backup when I first noticed the issue on the 2nd VM from the old that I had as I know there were no issues with it.

Ideas?

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
Are you sure they didn't get infected with something? Other than that, possible VHD or drive corruption? Maybe do a full scan disk on the virtual disks and the actual SSD?

If the SSD is dedicated to the VM's, you could try formatting it as ReFS instead too as it adds a bit of performance for VHD's.

Cypher^64

I scanned all 3 and no virus detected, and no errors detected. I had the 2nd vm shut off last night and this am the first 1 was at 100%

I'm going to shut them both off and watch the temp.

Cypher^64

OMG... it was a a freaking driver. Windows Server 2016 installed the generic NVME driver, installed the Intel 760p driver as it uses the same chipset and now it runs great. Only thing is, I had moved 1 of the vm's to a Samsung 860 and it ran great so I ordered another. The OCD in me for symmetry wants me to put the 2nd VM on it and sell the HP... damn drivers.

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Latest posts

Twitter