What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

High powered power supplies with loud fans

M

Misoprostol

I'm considering a new psu since I was talking to SKY about the limitations of my current OCZ GameXStream 600W. I was looking at the Silverstone Olympai 1000W, but I have heard that they are extremely loud. Would it be possible to disconnect the stock fan and install a 120mm by drilling a 120mm hold into the housing, and just screwing the fan onto it that way. I know this would end up with more hot air being directed into my case, but I think it has a lot of potential to provide more cooling for the psu itself too. Let me know what you think of this mod.

My case (Silverstone TJ07) would allow for the extra space that would be occupied by the fan on the PSU quite well. I could use either a 25mm thick fan or a 38mm fan. It would be undervolted to minimize noise either way since that's what I'm trying to do....

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Believe it or not, I have heard the exact opposite. From what I have heard the OP1000's single 80mm fan is whisper quiet until you are outputting ridiculous amounts of power from the PSU (think 700W+).

Personally, if you are concerned with noise I would probably look at something with a little less power (what DO you need 1Kw for anyways?) and a 140mm fan.

All of the new Thermaltake Toughpower units use 140mm fans which are supposed to be very quiet:
Power Supply

The W0155 would suit you well:
Thermaltake Toughpower 1000W - W0155

If you really really wanted to void your warranty and add a 120mm fan I can think of more than a few problems.

First and foremost would be the fact that there is NO place on the top of the unit to add a 120mm fan. The heatsinks almost sit flush with the metal case.

Next of all would be the fact that you would actually get LESS cooling and we all know how sensitive PSUs are to heat. This is because the interior of the OP1000 is specifically designed to have a 80mm rear-mounted fan. The only hole at the rear of the PSU is for the 80mm fan which means with a 120mm fan at the top, there would be basically no place for the air to go. In addition, the heatsinks are deisgned for pass-through airflow with their "fins" on the side.

All in all, I think adding an aftermarket fan to ANY PSU is a bad idea.

As for your little power problem; did you actually narrow it down to your PSU? When I look at the original thread where you were discussing the problems with your P 805, I see ALOT of responses missing. :ph34r:

M

Misoprostol

Well I was considering the Olympia because I can get one for cheap used. I have no idea if that was even the problem, but now that I have a kilowatt PSU, I don't have to worry about it for a bit. I had actually already picked it up and modded a 120mm fan into the top before I heard back from you on here, so I'll let you guys know if anything blows up.

I decided eventually instead of putting a hole into the housing because that would make it impossible to return to stock config that I would run it with no housing (I'm aware of the dangers and perfectly capable of avoiding them) and the 120mm fan on the top blowing down.

I can't believe how quiet this thing is. I have the 120mm fan connected to the 3 pin header inside the PSU (that was nice of them) and it's barely even spinning. I haven't loaded it up yet, but if it doesn't work, I won't be posting for a while, haha.

Babrbarossa

neat idea- I bet the housing itself was the source of alot of the noise- (wind flowing through the perforations)

M

Misoprostol

Nah. I guess it's just for kicks. I don't really need 1000W. My GameXStream 600W was running my rig just fine, even when I had 2x 7950GTs that were heavily overvolted and I had more hard drives at that time too. :s

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
I don't need a Ferrari. I want one though.... :thumb:

M

Misoprostol

Damn straight. That and my machine is very very quiet now. Honestly this 120mm fan mod worked VERY well. I can feel the amount of air that's being kicked out of the PSU, and the temperature of it. It's very cool and it's still moving a decent amount of air out of all side of the PSU.

Latest posts