What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Hilariously Overpriced Old Cards

great_big_abyss

Hmmm, I wonder what my GTX1080 would go for... I paid $350 for it just before XMAS.

It being summer, I'm not gaming much at all any more, and probably won't until the fall. But then I'll have to replace it come fall so I can game through the winter, and well, that could be hard.

lowfat

Staff member
Hmmm, I wonder what my GTX1080 would go for... I paid $350 for it just before XMAS.

It being summer, I'm not gaming much at all any more, and probably won't until the fall. But then I'll have to replace it come fall so I can game through the winter, and well, that could be hard.
I should have held off a couple more months. :p

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I should have held off a couple more months. :p
You and me both. My 1080ti died, I bought a 2080 S, and sold that in October when I landed the 3080. Although I feel I got a great price on the super, it was well before the 'uprising'. I also sold my old secondary rig with a 1070ti in it at the same time...oof!

All that being said, this 3080 Strix + ROG 850w psu Scamegg bundle seems like a steal (in hindsight) at $1200...

sf101

you guys look at new egg lately?
RX 580 @ 900-1000$?
1650's at 600+
1660/ti's at 900-1000$

how insane

I'm glad i bought my 5700XT liquid devil before covid started even though i felt i paid too much for a card back then.

sswilson

Staff member
you guys look at new egg lately?
RX 580 @ 900-1000$?
1650's at 600+
1660/ti's at 900-1000$

how insane

I'm glad i bought my 5700XT liquid devil before covid started even though i felt i paid too much for a card back then.

That's the joys of third party retailers being allowed to sell on the larger platforms. Scalper pricing and the originating platform can wash their hands of the issue while still getting their cut from the grossly inflated prices.

Lysrin

That's the joys of third party retailers being allowed to sell on the larger platforms. Scalper pricing and the originating platform can wash their hands of the issue while still getting their cut from the grossly inflated prices.
Adding my angry face is maybe a little over dramatic, but it is very frustrating. All of these platforms have become just a steaming mess these days.

I can remember when eBay was actually just "regular" people selling stuff like an actual auction! You can still find stuff but you have to wade through an awful lot of muck. The fact that what used to be regular retail sites are now also muddied by this makes it very challenging for the consumer to know what they are buying, for a reasonable price or not, and from where.

sswilson

Staff member
Adding my angry face is maybe a little over dramatic, but it is very frustrating. All of these platforms have become just a steaming mess these days.

I can remember when eBay was actually just "regular" people selling stuff like an actual auction! You can still find stuff but you have to wade through an awful lot of muck. The fact that what used to be regular retail sites are now also muddied by this makes it very challenging for the consumer to know what they are buying, for a reasonable price or not, and from where.

They're getting a little better at letting you filter it at least.

I typically start with "prime" as a filter for Amazon, but there's also options for "sold by" or "shipped by" amazon. Newegg has a similar option, and BB has a "BB only" option.

OTOH, sometimes amazon listings from third party sellers are just a store front for a known PC retailer, and you can sometimes get the same price but with free shipping.