What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Holy High Temps!

ImmaPC

Yeah, so for the last month or two I've been getting astronomically high temperatures...on IDLE. That's right. IDLE. Temps range from 70 - 73C on IDLE over all 4 cores on my i7. I got a Cosmos S with the huge side panel fan and everything. The i7 is seated properly, I quadruple-checked. I have a stock cooler on it ATM. Gonna run out when I get the cash and get a 212+ for it. Until then, what can I do to do lower these damn temps?

ImmaPC

Yeah. Sort of drops by 2C, and then it goes up and down after that.

BRB. I tried to under-volt my i7 by .0125V, and now it's running at 1600MHZ.

Perineum

Bah, comletely ignored!

Hrmm, have you tried pushing down firmly, but yet oh-so-gently on your heatsink? If so, do the temps change?

I would think that it's either your MB feeding it crazy voltage, sensors not giving the right temp, or heatsink off kilter.

Polygon

Since it's the stock cooler the push pins might not be pushed in correctly. Make sure they are completley pushed in to secure the heatsink. This happened to me with my quad core, I was getting up to 100c on load and then it would crash. Then I adjusted the heatsink and got 30c idle and no more than 60 on load.

Also if you have some thermal paste try putting some of that on.

If problems persist maybe the sensor is broken? Or maybe the i7 heatsink just really sucks?

ImmaPC

Okay re-adjusted the heastink a little bit during the BRB, no dice.

But now my i7 is running at 1.6GHZ cos I under-volted it a tiny lil' bit. CPU-Z reports the multiplier is at 12 but I set it to 20 in the BIOS. Set the voltage back to the default. Holy crap I'm such a noob.

frontier204

Are you sure that 12x multi thing is not just SpeedStep kicking in? Keep your undervolt but try loading the CPU and see if it stays at 12x multiplier.

Latest posts

Twitter