What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Home Gaming Center

ShinraCorp

Hey all,

Not sure if people can answer this question but I was wondering if there's any sort of profitability when running a gaming center at a home? Now I know that the major profit comes from drinks and snacks and not from the actual play time. However starting up one easily passes 15 000$ + the building cost, so that's why I wanted to start small, like my basement for example. It's not going to be a full time commitment just yet, since I know the first few years will not be profitable but later on if I wish to expand (and use an actual commercial building) then I'll be doing a full time commitment for it, probably even open a PC shop as a 2nd business.

Shadowmeph

I am not sure what you mean by gaming centre.
If you mean something like an arcade I think that it wouldn't be to successful unless you were in an area where they is allot of people that play games but do not have the access to them even then I don't think it would last. back in the late 1970s I worked in both a Pool hall and an huge pinball/ video game/ Foosball games and the first attempt lasted about a year and the second well lasted about the same . back then you didn't really have to many people that had PCs in there homes unlike now with xbox or ps1,2,3 + other gaming systems out there I think that it probably would be hard break even succeed or to make any prophet at all.

Keltron 3030

I think you mean a Gaming Cafe...

I agree with what Shadowmeph said; Unless you have a huge, and I mean HUGE, market for it, you will most likely fail. We had one that was open for six years, which actually surprised me. The only reason they were able to survive was because of a semi-strong fanbase, which eventually died, and also because of the location, central downtown, next to lots of people

Another gaming cafe just opened up near my house, and it gets very little business. I'm sure the only reason it will POSSIBLY stay alive is because of all the M:TG Tournaments it hosts, as well as the PC Tournaments it hosts weekly. How long it will stay alive, I'm not sure of...

Just my 2 cents on it.

bliz

Would perhaps work if you are in a city center and you have huge monitors on the front of the place, saying,"TRY CRYSIS 3 NOW,ONLY 5$ PER DAY,MAXIMUM GRAPHICS"

Jordo

I think it would be a cool idea to have something like that - but in reality I don't think people would go to someones home for this. I think you would need to set this up in a high traffic commercial space... but then I'm sure the rent would be too high to make any money out of it.

The only similar places I have known, have shut down within a year due to huge financial losses. It's incredibly hard to keep up with the huge initial overhead costs as well as the continued costs of keeping up to date with all recent computer technology and game technology.

BlueByte

I don't think hardware costs would be as bad as they were 5+ years ago. To play at 1080p on med-high settings is easily obtainable for longer periods of time. I could see you squeezing 2-2.5 years out of hardware no problem. Compared to almost 6-12 months it used to be. If the social culture is there it is possible, South Korea being a prime example.

I think they fail often because of a few things;

1) They think they can throw some PCs up and they will come. As was pointed out above you need a to drive competition and the social aspects.

2) food and atmosphere is usually bordering on 3rd world seedy bar. It takes more effort but for gods safe make decent food and drink.

3) They usually have poor game selection. Need to keep a good mix that the locals play.

Running it out of your home might let you keep costs down to focus on having a better experience, but it completely depends on where you live and marketing if it would be successful. I would do some serious research into it first. Its not a field of dreams.

ShinraCorp

I don't think hardware costs would be as bad as they were 5+ years ago. To play at 1080p on med-high settings is easily obtainable for longer periods of time. I could see you squeezing 2-2.5 years out of hardware no problem. Compared to almost 6-12 months it used to be. If the social culture is there it is possible, South Korea being a prime example.

I think they fail often because of a few things;

1) They think they can throw some PCs up and they will come. As was pointed out above you need a to drive competition and the social aspects.

2) food and atmosphere is usually bordering on 3rd world seedy bar. It takes more effort but for gods safe make decent food and drink.

3) They usually have poor game selection. Need to keep a good mix that the locals play.

Running it out of your home might let you keep costs down to focus on having a better experience, but it completely depends on where you live and marketing if it would be successful. I would do some serious research into it first. Its not a field of dreams.

I know I'll be doing some serious market research before spending a dime on anything related to the café. Of course foods and drinks is what makes the most profit just like Cineplex, of course the games are important as well which is why I would set up a game suggestion page for future games installed.

grinder

call me crazy, but I would call the town office first and see if your basement is zoned for something like this. You will need a business license, no?

ShinraCorp

call me crazy, but I would call the town office first and see if your basement is zoned for something like this. You will need a business license, no?

Nah I checked, I don't need one since I don't fall into any of their categories, I'll still contact them to be sure but so far I found none... It's not like it's Adult Entertainment :p

NI3

I don't really think that most people would go into someone's basement to play some games.

Really a large LAN party would be more profitable. Rent an arena, rent some network equipment, charge entrances fees, sell food and drink.