What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Gallery Home lab (pic heavy)

zoob

OK. It didn't last very long with the noise from the stock fan.

Noctua 40mm fans are on order.

For now, here is a super ghetto mod. Don't try this at home. I have it tucked away far under my desk where nothing will fall onto it.
Threw a random Noctua 120mm PWM fan onto the heatsinks, and an ancient Mini-Kaze on top of the PSU.

nV3P0Lyl.jpg

Code:
Unit ID	Sensor	Description	Temp(C)	State	Max Temp (C)
1	1	MAC	34	Normal	34
1	2	PHY	35	Normal	35

Slot	FAN	Description	Type	Speed	Duty level(%)	State
1	1	Fan-1	Fixed	291	21	Operational

Fan-1 is PWM controlled. Fan-2 runs at 100% speed.

Much easier on the ears for now.

If those Noctua fans don't help, I'll need to get creative and maybe move the PCB into a custom 1U case and find a decent squirrel cage fan.

zoob

Quick update. Got 2 x Noctua 40mm fans. Replaced the stock Nidec fan with one and threw the other next to the heatsinks inside. Fixed with double-sided tape for now, since the stock mounting screws are smaller than the standard case fan screws, and the standard fan screws don't fit through the metal chassis.

Code:
Unit ID	Sensor	Description	Temp(C)	State	Max Temp (C)
1	1	MAC	38	Normal	38
1	2	PHY	44	Normal	44

Slot	FAN	Description	Type	Speed	Duty level(%)	State
1	1	Fan-1	Fixed	4066	21	Operational

These things spin >4000RPM even though the ULNA's are on. The Noctuas have a quiet but audible ticking noise to the motor. The design of the Netgear chassis creates a lot of airflow noise. The whine on these Noctuas isn't as annoying as the stock Nidec, but still more audible than I'd like probably because it is "hardmounted" with sticky tape.

Ordered a squirrel cage fan to compare. Probably won't help much at all unless some of the empty space inside is blocked off to more effectively cool the heatsinks.

zoob

Made a few changes...

Here's a new shot of the rack
qmihwP1l.jpg

POE switch changed to Cisco SG300-10MPP (passive, with dual GB uplink)
Main switch changed to Juniper EX4300-48T (48x1GBe, 4x10GBe SFP+, 4x40GBe QSFP)
Finger duct from fs.com (free shipping to Canada!)
Added 2x Dell R210ii E3-1240v2 with 32GB and 24GB RAM (waiting on sale for additional sticks to make them both 32GB)

The top R210ii is my new core networking server running Proxmox 5 beta hosting pfsense/Unifi controller/FreePBX
Bottom R210ii will be my playground and will be moving everything off my Raspberry Pis to clean up my living space, planning for Grafana/influxdb/Pihole/dokuwiki/Jupyter/django play space. bs4 runs so damn slow on a Pi2.
iDRAC is nice, though it's an old version that needs either old Java or some manual exceptions edited in.

I'll probably regret pulling out the old HP POE main switch. I did so mainly for the noise... the new Cisco switch is passive... but for the Juniper switch the low-speed fan noise profile isn't very pleasant, AND with the warmer weather this EX4300 frequently spins up the fans :doh:. But 40GBe! What's really silly is that I did have an EX3300-24T as an interim switch that's now on the side collecting dust.

The Unifi US-16-XG still has problems on the new firmware with the 10GBase-T ports and I can't get full line speed over 2 port LAG with my Netgear switch. Pretty sure the HP will be going back in once I start my next video project that's to be completed in July/Aug simply because the 10GBase-T ports on it are reliably good (and I don't have fibre in the walls yet).

According to my Kill-A-Watt, each R210ii idles around 36W, and the EX4300 idles around 75W. So much for power savings LOL.

Two ConnectX3 QSFP cards were purchased off eBay. One was DOA showing up as "PCI Memory Controller". The other one detected just fine. eBay seller was wonderful and refunded after I sent a screenshot of the issue - no return required (bonus! because it was bought from a seller in the states).
Later on I noticed the dead card would show me the VPD info (MAC addresses/etc) within the first minute of boot up, then later on report nothing. Querying the device would result in a MFE_NO_FLASH_DETECTED. I re-flowed the main chip with a hot air pencil for around 5 minutes, put it back together, and it detected! Not trusting it in my main servers, but good enough for the 'playground' host.
CJublhhl.jpg

Repasting the R210ii:
kag8jaOl.jpg

K48viUSl.jpg

Mcg4IZel.jpg

40Gbe in the house:
QivWfT5l.jpg

K085s7kl.jpg

wa60Ienl.jpg

n5jyzerl.jpg

NYENSGMl.jpg

Uj3gs43l.jpg

87CHeJsl.jpg

zoob

Wow it's been nearly a year since last update. Lots of updates...

Finally have USG hardware that supposed to be fast enough for 1G but with IPS/IDS/QoS it doesn't get very close. It loses a lot of flexibility and advanced features I had with pfSense and it hurts sometimes. Single pane of Unifi management is nice, but having a mix of switches makes it not quite the full experience. I'm torn between Unifi network stack for simplicity, good deals on (small) enterprise hardware, and also the advanced features that enterprise gear and pfSense have to offer.

Here it is shortly after the Juniper was wired in nicely... 48 ports makes wire management nice. But unfortunately it didn't last very long.
w2DWJv6l.jpg

Added 240V. But still looking for a nice UPS, so this is for 2nd PSU and other things that are not critical.
wK5c5qql.jpg

QSFP fail.
wufTr3zl.jpg

Semi-bricked the XS708t by not reading release notes. Recovered it with a fancy serial adapter.
gXcmzPpl.jpg

Added in some extra Unifi stuff. Ditched the Juniper and went *gasp* SOHO switch for fanless 24x1GBe + 4x10GBe. The Juniper was a little more noisy than I wanted. Low fan speed was tolerable, high fan speed not so much, boot up get out of here.
hZbjIH1l.jpg

Some 10GBase-T SFP+ adapters from Mikrotik. They work, but they get HOT.
0KluvJ5l.jpg

Risky eBay purchase turned out to be just what I was looking for. Picked up a second JG962A that was beat up and neglected. Hooked it up to a serial port to reset to factory (grr), fan swap to Noctuas to make it tolerable. Now it's my main POE switch displacing the Cisco and taking most of my regular traffic. The TPLink is now for management and backup GBe connections.
tyPqVOJm.jpg
TDnCYhQm.jpg

6BhGjzml.jpg

RMA'd the US-16-XG since it was an early revision with poor 10GBase-T compatibility. This is how they shipped the replacement.
3xgVGGPl.jpg

Taking a peek inside because I heard rattling. Turns out it was the screw terminals for DC power input and everything works fine.
XI1qniml.jpg

It works great - 10GBase-T comes up no problem now. It also has no silkscreened logo on the front like the old unit had.
qD4mEjml.jpg

Also added a few drops around the house. After putting the one up in the kitchen now I'm not sure it was the right decision... was going to put a phone there but now it just seems out of place. Worst case it just becomes a chase to run more wires upstairs.
Jbm0sGrl.jpg

t8Ah36Cl.jpg

eRWcSJbl.jpg

Messy wiring that needs to be cleaned up next time I can take the network down.
r1rZc78l.jpg

zoob

Some updates.

New UPS, new switch, some other new crap.

Eaton 9PX6K

Consolidated into one 48 port switch. Removed the JG962A and T1700TQ... handy little patch cable handle:

Pile of old stuff to get rid of:

Still lots of stuff to tidy up and clean. There's a shelf that needs to go in to tidy the random IOT junk, and also need to rebuild the Intel 2U that's being used as a mousepad.

Unifi topology:

Default Unifi dashboard. Just upgraded to this and need to spend some time to customize. Love the dark mode.

Latest posts

Twitter