What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Gallery Home lab (pic heavy)

zoob

Hey all,

I've been working on my 'home lab' setup for quite some time now, and I'd like to share with you my progress.

Started out with a Stacker 830 from several years ago, with some various forms of RAID on Areca cards. I moved house a few times, then finally ended up where I am now. A Supermicro 846 followed shortly after, however it sat unused for a long time (see my other thread here: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...04-supermicro-sc846-freenas-server-build.html)

Eventually someone gifted me a small rack. It also sat unused for a couple of months until I got the 846 running at an acceptable volume. I also got a free 42U rack that sat unused in my garage for about 2 years.

The goal was to have all my server things in the basement, and a silent upstairs office. I wanted to wire my house but was too afraid of drilling holes in new construction, especially with it still being under warranty. I've played around with Wireless N bridging since around 2010 with no real success. It was 'good enough' to stay up and working but not 'good enough' for what I had in mind. MoCA v1 was OK but limited at 100 Mbps. Wireless AC became affordable and I moved to it (bridging two AC66U and then shortly after two AC68U which I used for a while). MoCA v2 came out supporting gigabit and that was the catalyst. By then, I finally grew a pair and started drilling holes in my house.

I can't find the whole chronological order, so we'll start at the time I have my SC846 setup.

Album here: Home lab cleanup - Album on Imgur

Here's the current state as of 2017-01-11:
HI7uCgSl.jpg

Pics to follow.

Last edited:

zoob

Old server on left, new server on right.
GJVNp6Kl.jpg

59jW8ezl.jpg

Moving in the bigboy:

LytSMLgl.jpg

ZiW6A1ml.jpg

MoCA 2:
JjTJsP7l.jpg

PFsense whitebox installed:
46Ar5wTl.jpg

Decom old server:
It went through various forms but kept the same case.
i7 920->i3 530->i7 2600K->i7 3700K->i7 4770->W3520 w/ECC
I'm sure some steps are missing. It used to handle Plex and did double duty as my HTPC through an HDMI balun.
YceDYkol.jpg

Uhdj6bCl.jpg

Random cat:
nqW8hq2l.jpg

Coffee table lab:
From bottom to top (in the picture):
OpenHAB for my Z-Wave setup
RasPlex as my new HTPC
Nothing
Nothing
Pihole
Django server
QRBnrs0l.jpg

zoob

I blew up the motherboard in my R2312 VM server so had to use Intel warranty. Server was bought off eBay and was thankfully still under Intel warranty.
X2DuTXDl.jpg

Wired up with two SSDs as my Proxmox/VM storage.
YHmhHkOl.jpg

Intel R2312 VM host installed (PFSense then becomes virtualized). Pic looks a bit too recent, but I'll put it here anyway.
MK5sCIHl.jpg

With PFSense running as my router, I change my ASUS 68U to be only a wireless AP. Then comes the UBNT gear.
7WBHTE3l.jpg

The UAP needs to be ceiling mounted right? Let's go fishing. I don't use central vac. Let's re-use some pre-run 'conduit'.
xfVcTxyl.jpg

Mapping out how I want to run:
ipGMb8xl.jpg

Bugger:
There actually is a hole under the insulation for the magenta line which was meant for the romex.
CFWA7GRl.jpg

How it's actually run. Somehow I still make do.
ubODyEFl.jpg

Central vac fish line run by vacuuming a tissue on twine (no proper tools at this time):
0RaQPsul.jpg

Run 1 done:
u47IllWl.jpg

Main floor vac view (taped up to help suction):
ibBX2del.jpg

Additional run:
ACW4sDRl.jpg

Testing:
6SaDfaTl.jpg

UAP mounted, sorta:
aoFdpL9l.jpg

zoob

Something larger than a 3/8" bit:
lIHtjhwl.jpg

More runs. Kinda shitty bend radius. I wanted to extend the line straight up, but due to the electrical wiring issue described above I had to make do. RG6 is for my attic antenna, and the extra loop also double as another pull cable :thumb:
u95dEFsl.jpg

Testing the gigabits with two Chelsio T420-BT adapters:
kZI2WU0l.jpg

G8OZInyl.jpg

Proud cat:
M34N2Rkl.jpg

In comes the 10Gbe gear. I first tested with Mellanox cards earlier this year. It whet my appetite for SPEED.
zFT99Tvl.jpg

The Chelsio cards came, I tested my "CAT6e" runs and they were good, so I jumped in with both feet and here's the XS708t I snagged off eBay.
fYkpJ9el.jpg

FnKfQp8l.jpg

Unifi switch came out shortly after, for way less cost. Was hesitant to purchase due to issues with DACs and various NICs, but it's been relatively good to me.
HnNYcMHl.jpg

hGa5mNEl.jpg

p3nnLbhl.jpg

I started adding security cameras and IP phones, so logically a POE switch comes next. But it can't be any POE, I need POE+ for the new Unifi APs. I also want 10GBase-T so I don't run into any bottlenecks.
Making sure it works. It ripped off the shipping container and was loose inside the box. :(
azNurehl.jpg

f0cEVxUl.jpg

5kCzFJTl.jpg

A7JnZLPl.jpg

It's louder than I'd like.

Everything in:
hFmqbAxl.jpg

zoob

Built an NVR for my security cameras. Pic doesn't show the HDD caddy. It's in an iStar 213 MATX 2U case. Various parts from HWC members :)
MiA4VVnl.jpg

Mounted in the rack:
azQTuMyl.jpg

More cable runs means more supply runs:
FH9twjol.jpg

D04VC0ql.jpg

Infinite cables CAT6A. I think I made a mistake with this. Should have gone with CAT6 for smaller OD and no plastic spine.
D2aqc2Cl.jpg

Monoprice vs Infinite cables keystones:
PqCqnoIl.jpg

Carage:
3o0jtKel.jpg

g5wEjoRl.jpg

x8Lv5Tql.jpg

qxgfIaBl.jpg

v4bGOD9l.jpg

Kitchen:
QYF7oIIl.jpg

4wfniInl.jpg

Bq1to1Ml.jpg

Last edited:

zoob

Rack:
24U keystone patch panel
Dell Powerconnect 2724 Switch - Management/BMC/IPMI
HP 1950-24G-2SFP+-2XGT-PoE+(370W) Switch - Access switch / POE switch
Netgear XS708t Switch - 10GBase-T testing. Eventually this will move into my office.
Ubiquiti Unifi US-16-XG Switch - All my servers are connected to this. 2 port LAG to Netgear, 1 port uplink to HP (2 port LAG to follow when I get more DACs).
2U NVR - For my IP cameras. Runs BlueIris, have a few cams recording around my house.
Samsung monitor & keyboard - I have a KVM I'll be hooking up in case I need to connect locally instead of through BMC/IPMI, or if I want to view footage in the basement for whatever reason.
4U Supermicro SC846 - Bulk storage/etc. Runs FreeNAS. Jails: Plex, Plexpy, Sabnzbd, Sabnzbd, Transmission
1U HP DL60 G9 - Not powered on ATM. Will become my Core services VM.
2U Intel R2312 - Core services VM. Runs Proxmox. pfsense, unifi controller, freepbx, docuwiki, guacamole, tvheadend, and whatever other VMs I want to spin up for testing new things.
Cyberpower 1500PFC UPS
Dell APC 1500VA UPS
Rogers modem, Obi202, Silicondust HDHomerun

Coffee table:
RPi2 OpenHAB - Uses an Aeon Z-Stick Gen 5 for my Z-Wave setup, controls some living room lighting, entryway sensors
RPi2 RasPlex - Plex to my TV with CEC so I can use one remote.
RPi2 Nothing
RPi2 Nothing
RPi1 Pihole - DNS server - Caches and also blocks ads
RPi1 Django server - Runs some cron jobs to check my email for certain things and automatically collects reward points on certain sites.

zoob

I used shipito. They were expensive. Around $90 USD to ship the switch (huge box), plus taxes @ Canada Post at pickup. Took about 1 week to arrive.

For the new UAP-AC-HDs I am using crossborderpickups. They charged around $35 CAD for shipping/CBSA paperwork, plus taxes pre-paid. All-in (taxes+shipping) around $100 CAD for the two APs. Way cheaper, but a little bit slower. Still waiting for them...

JD

Staff member
I used shipito. They were expensive. Around $90 USD to ship the switch (huge box), plus taxes @ Canada Post at pickup. Took about 1 week to arrive.

For the new UAP-AC-HDs I am using crossborderpickups. They charged around $35 CAD for shipping/CBSA paperwork, plus taxes pre-paid. All-in (taxes+shipping) around $100 CAD for the two APs. Way cheaper, but a little bit slower. Still waiting for them...
Interesting, never even thought about doing that!

Nice setup though! I'd like to move everything scattered around the house into a single rack someday too...

Latest posts